PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How do you add applications like Terminal to the right click menu?

nezeray
August 10th, 2012, 02:22 PM
I'm new to Unity and miss having Terminal available when I right click on the desktop. Is there an easy way to add applications to that menu?

Thanks!

James / Nezeray

:popcorn:

irv
August 10th, 2012, 02:42 PM
If you are running Ubuntu with Unity and you are referring to the launch area from the Dash, then just run terminal and while it is running right click on the icon in the launch and lock it to the launch. Then when you close the terminal the icon will remain in the launch.

nezeray
August 10th, 2012, 02:52 PM
I've done that. What I mean is when you're actually in the center of a workspace, and right click. You get "Create New Folder", Create New Document"... "Change Desktop Backgroud". I want to be able to open a terminal from there.

I don't want to have to keep going back over to the Launcher to run it. If there's a shortcut key combo that may work too.

James / Nezeray

vasilbelarus
August 10th, 2012, 02:56 PM
If you lock any applycations on Dash(left panel) then you can open them by shortcut key Win+1...9.
Press and held Win and you will see much more shortcuts

vasilbelarus
August 10th, 2012, 02:58 PM
Ctrl+Alt+T for terminal is also awailable by default.

Kalanac
August 10th, 2012, 03:03 PM
With dash you can also hit the superkey (the one typically labelled with the windows logo) and type the name of the application. When it's the first or only option hit enter and it'll run.

irv
August 10th, 2012, 03:05 PM

Agree: this is the best way to do it. This is what I use.

nezeray
August 10th, 2012, 03:08 PM
Thanks! Those suggestions help!

James / Nezeray

Kalanac
August 10th, 2012, 09:51 PM
Don't forget to mark solved :)

bcschmerker
August 11th, 2012, 06:16 AM
Just what I need for my eMachines®/Acer® EL1210-09 with Shuttle® PC6300002 PSU and Asus® EN210/DI/512MD2(LP) upgrades. I recently installed 12.04-LTS and have to install additional Packages specific to nVIDIA® hardware in order to bring the planar GeForce® 9200 online as a secondary display adapter; the Live/Install DVD recognized the GeForce® 210 and not the 9200. :-k Thanks for the tip on a needful hotkey.

irv
August 11th, 2012, 02:25 PM
Just what I need for my eMachines®/Acer® EL1210-09 with Shuttle® PC6300002 PSU and Asus® EN210/DI/512MD2(LP) upgrades. I recently installed 12.04-LTS and have to install additional Packages specific to nVIDIA® hardware in order to bring the planar GeForce® 9200 online as a secondary display adapter; the Live/Install DVD recognized the GeForce® 210 and not the 9200. :-k Thanks for the tip on a needful hotkey.

Another quick tip: if you just press and hold down the super key it will bring up a list of many other hot keys.

hakermania
August 11th, 2012, 02:28 PM
Another quick tip: you can use this guide so as to create/append/edit launchers to/from the unity sidebar: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UnityLaunchersAndDesktopFiles

Kleenux
August 13th, 2012, 03:27 AM
Finally using Unity (on a new fresh 12.04).

Opened an application, right click on icon in Dash, and no "Lock to launcher" in the menu.

Is there any other *simple* way to add an application to the launcher?

deadflowr
August 13th, 2012, 03:37 AM
Finally using Unity (on a new fresh 12.04).

Opened an application, right click on icon in Dash, and no "Lock to launcher" in the menu.

Is there any other *simple* way to add an application to the launcher?

Drag 'em from the dash screen. You can also rearrange the icons in the launcher, to suit your needs.(All except the dash, workspace switcher, trash ,and any removable media icons.
I don't think I opened and then locked any of my launcher items, I've just always dragged 'em over, once added they're automatically locked in.
And know that if you don't want an app in the launcher anymore, just drag into the trash.

Kleenux
August 13th, 2012, 05:32 AM
Drag 'em from the dash screen. You can also rearrange the icons in the launcher, to suit your needs.(All except the dash, workspace switcher, trash ,and any removable media icons.
I don't think I opened and then locked any of my launcher items, I've just always dragged 'em over, once added they're automatically locked in.
And know that if you don't want an app in the launcher anymore, just drag into the trash.

Well, tried that. The application is a bash script, and it doesn't appear in Dash Search. So the "Drag" thing doesn't work (believe me, tried all possible combinations).

Tried also to add a .desktop to ~/.local/share/applications, with all the required options => didn't work for some reasons (yes, logged out, rebooted....).

Finally got it to work, after installing "Main menu" (alacarte), adding the app to the Gnome "menu", allowing Dash Search to see it. Then dragged to the Dash bar.

Wow. Seriously, do you think all this gymnastics to simply add an icon to the launcher will help Ubuntuers to forget about Gnome Classic? (which has other flaws, I admit)

The right-click is very sober: not even Properties to change icon or path or options etc...

I like the waddling icon and all but come on...