PDA

View Full Version : Unity and blinking

vexorian
August 10th, 2012, 02:04 PM
When you start using unity seriously. I am starting to notice something that can get annoying accumulatively. Specially when using firefox as I need to take the mouse to the top to change tabs.

The global menu bar also works as a global title bar. Which means that when the mouse stays over it, it changes to menu bar mode. This serves well in making the interface use less space. But I am starting to think that the menu bar "blinking" instantly whenever the mouse cursor is over it can become literally a head ache. It is becoming a point of stress to me. I have to be constantly careful not to make the menu bar trigger...

What if the menu bar had delays?
- 0.X seconds delay before menu bar starts appearing. This way if the mouse just got there accidentally as part of a movement to another area, nothing happens.
- 1 second delay before hiding the menu bar again. Maybe the mouse cursor is moving erratically, or maybe I exited accidentally and temporarily.

I think I read in some game design site that there needs to be a delay between control and reaction because that is the way the human brain expects things to work. Completely instant reaction to input is counter-intuitive.

wally the duck
August 17th, 2012, 04:17 PM
This is without a doubt the single most annoying part of Unity. I use a CAD program - those are extremely menu dependent. You are constantly making menu selections. Every time, you must move the mouse to the menu bar "blind" because the menu is gone. Only the name of the program remains, which you obviously know full well and do not need to see.
Worst of all, there is plenty of room on the bar to display both things. Unity OUGHT to be smart enough to see the size of your title bar and decide what could be displayed.
Highly, highly, highly annoying behavior and as far as I can tell, Canonical does not know that. Probably because nobody there really uses computer programs, they just do social stuff and lightweight apps. Anybody doing serious work in something like a CAD program would notice in the first few minutes that this is an obvious bug even though it is a purposeful part of the design.
Blink. Blink. Blink. Blink. Blink. Blink. Blink. Blink. Blink. Blink. Blink. Blink. Blink. Blink. Blink. Blink. Blink. Blink. Blink. Blink. Blink. Blink. Blink. Blink.
How do you like that, Canonical?

sffvba[e0rt
August 17th, 2012, 07:26 PM
Thread moved to Recurring Discussions.

vexorian
August 17th, 2012, 09:20 PM
Should you rename the recurring discussions forum to "Threads be disliked"?

And now threads are moved there because of posts by non-OP, nok.

cariboo
August 17th, 2012, 09:24 PM
Should you rename the recurring discussions forum to "Threads be disliked"?

And now threads are moved there because of posts by non-OP, nok.

Threads are moved to Recurring, because they have recurring themes. Global menu's have been discussed numerous times since they became available.