PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu 12.10 and what it can do...

Ariya243
August 10th, 2012, 11:27 AM
I've been working with Ubuntu 12.10 for few days. I am getting used to the new Nautilus, which actually won't make me go all the way to top left corner to change something, for example view. Everything is right there next to the open window.

By the way, I've also being playing with Look-Changer and Web Browser manager of Zorin OS 6 Core, and made it work in Ubuntu 12.10 Alpha. You can see the screenshots here http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/827/slookchanger.jpg/

I'd try to attach it here,

Ariya243
August 11th, 2012, 04:57 AM
Here I am attaching another screenshot with the autohiding Awn panel seen. I did this in Gnome-Classic, but with the so-called Win 7 look. The Zorin Look Changer is GPL, so it can be copied and used, only maybe the author's name kept intact. As this is done in Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Alpha, maybe I had found the next Zorin OS 7...:D

This is with Awn panel free of restrictions and MacOs X like capabilities, which Awn panel gives us.

But, who needs a pseudo Win 7 look, when Win 7 is now going out. Anyway, we buy the laptops with MS Windows, so why should we need another Win 7 look?

sffvba[e0rt
August 11th, 2012, 08:13 PM
Thread moved to The Community Cafe.

Doesn't seem to be a Testimonial etc.

Ariya243
August 12th, 2012, 10:18 AM
Thread moved to The Community Cafe.

Doesn't seem to be a Testimonial etc.

Why not?

Quantal is still in alpha, but it is already made to be Zorin 7, or whatever number Zorin might think of. It can be made to be Mint 14 too, or Pinguy 12.10. Quantal is still in alpha, but when it is updated all the time with Quantal repos, by the time Quantal is released you have a Zorin look-changing distro with 6 looks, or Mint, or Pinguy or whatever. If Zorin won't come out with Win 8 look, and still keeps the Win 7 look, consider that Zorin 7(or whatever number) with Quantal is already made. Playing with Mint and Pinguy now. Mint is lovely to work with, while Pinguy is buggy.

The Ubuntu developers would always update the Quantal repositories, so if I keep the Quantal Alphs in pristine state, by October 18th, I'd already have a fully fledged Quantal. Whatever changes the Ubuntu developers would do, would be in the repositories.

Ubuntu is a great distro, actually a great operating system. Isn't that what I am saying?

By October 18th, I'd try to tell how to do that in these forums. Isn't Linux all about files?

Have a nice day!:)

Ariya

Perfect Storm
August 12th, 2012, 11:44 AM
Why not?

As it is not a finished product. Also there are some restriction in T&E forum, so your thread would benefit a lot better in the Café.

Ariya243
August 12th, 2012, 12:30 PM
As it is not a finished product. Also there are some restriction in T&E forum, so your thread would benefit a lot better in the Café.

Well, I wrote about a finished product before. Here it is http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2038103

Everything in that is done, but I don't like the blue screen, so I changed it. I really don't want the Win 7 look, and I found the "look-changer" as an eye-wash. If one needs a much more real Win 7 looking DE/WM, or a XP looking one, they can be placed in the Unity Greeter/xsessions. And there won't be any blockade of the Awn panel.

Now, that is done, I took Quantal and made it have the "look-changer", but also made so the Unity greeter would move from Win 7 to XP to Gnome to Gnome classic to so on. You can do that too!:D

Linux is all about files, I heard so many times, and I know it is true now. In all the Ubuntu remixes (called distros in Distrowatch) what they do is add available apps and add some of their own, and even delete some apps, but they cannot do anything the base. Free or not, some parts of Ubuntu cannot be touched, changed.

Have a nice day!:D

Ariya243
August 13th, 2012, 09:08 AM
I am posting a screenshot of Ubuntu 12.04 made to look like Linux mint Cinnamon and the next screenshot would be Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal made to look like Linux Mint Cinnamon. I don't much care about Mate, would work with Cinnamon in that. You could notice in my /usr/share Linux Mint packages. It is all about files and they could be copied and pasted. The folder linuxmint you see is disabled, even though all the logos in it could be used. You could see the Linux Mint menu logo on the Cinnamon panel, though.

I didn't like Mint's MDM as I have to write twice to get in, so I installed a MDM theme from Gnome Look Org.

Fonts: Cyro64 Mixed
GTK and Window themes: Malys Revolt 0.5

Have a nice day!:D

Ariya

Devta
December 23rd, 2012, 05:20 AM
How can I get the look-changer in kubuntu 12.10?

Frogs Hair
December 23rd, 2012, 11:09 PM
You need to install Zorin, read the first little paragraph.
http://zorin-os.webs.com/lookchanger.htm

Devta
December 25th, 2012, 10:22 AM
Is there no other way?

Elfy
December 25th, 2012, 10:41 AM
Almost any non-tech-support topic may be discussed here.

Please start a support thread.

Closed