PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] C having an array with 0 but not "\0"

scorpious
August 10th, 2012, 11:04 AM
I'm trying to create a maze that has a zero in it but C confuses this with the null byte so instead of getting a maze like this
#####
#0 # . S
# . # .#
# . . . #
#####

I get a maze like this
#####
## . S
# . # . #
# . . . #
#####

Is there a way to get C to insert a zero as an int instead of a null bite?

I don't think using '0' will help as the next step is to find the number and increase it by 1.

dwhitney67
August 10th, 2012, 11:06 AM
A zero and a NULL-byte are not the same. If you want to insert a 0 character into your array, use '0', not '\0' (which is the NULL-byte).

albandy
August 10th, 2012, 11:09 AM
printf("%d",integer_variable); This will print the integer value.

As said before, an integer and an ascii char are different things, but in fact both are integers.

For example, the character 0 is an integer (well really a char) of value 48.

scorpious
August 10th, 2012, 11:11 AM
Thanks for the quick reply. however I don't want to insert a 0 character, I want to insert a 0 int.

EDIT: Turns out that I can add and subtract to char's as if they were ints. Didn't know that. I'll use chars from now on.

Thanks

albandy
August 10th, 2012, 11:13 AM
Thanks for the quick reply. however I don't want to insert a 0 character, I want to insert a 0 int.

You have to work with it adding and substracting the value of '0'

Bachstelze
August 10th, 2012, 11:15 AM
A 0 integer and a null byte are the same thing. Post code.

EDIT: And describe more precisely what you want to do.

lisati
August 10th, 2012, 11:18 AM
A 0 integer and a null byte are the same thing. Post code.

And has already been noted, a char '0' is different. A \0 or any other int isn't always suitable for sending directly to the display.

Bachstelze
August 10th, 2012, 11:57 AM
And has already been noted, a char '0' is different.

OP has made clear that he wants to store an integer 0, not a char '0'.

A \0 or any other int isn't always suitable for sending directly to the display.

And how do you know that the data is sent "directly to the display"? This is why I asked for some code.

nvteighen
August 10th, 2012, 05:40 PM
If you're dealing with strings, the best you can do is to stick to ASCII characters, i.e enclose everything between single quotation marks. Otherwise, printf and all other I/O functions will interpret 0 as '\0', thus yielding weird results that I believe that you don't want. Stay coherent and everything will be much easier.

Note: of course a char can hold a 0, even inside a char array... the problem is not derived from the data type (in C types are just length specifications), but the C Standard I/O library, which operates by assuming that 0 is the NULL-terminator.

Bachstelze
August 10th, 2012, 05:44 PM
(in C types are just length specifications)

Not quite. ;) A right bitwise shift will operate differently on a signed and unsigned integer of the same length, for example. Also a pointer, while being an integer internally, is governed by different rules.

Bachstelze
August 10th, 2012, 05:58 PM
But the idea is: if you want to use string I/O functions from the standard library, you can't have a 0 byte in the middle of a string, since a 0 byte by definition represents the end of a string. If you want to have 0 bytes, you will have to cook up your own display function.