PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] IS this the firewall blocking my mail

Nixforce
August 10th, 2012, 10:27 AM
Hi,I have my server running now, only problem im having is my email client is not connecting to the server.

In my incredimail client, i get this error :

Port: 110, Protocol: POP.No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it.

Is this the firewall on the server blocking me? I have installed webmin and virtualmin to help me.. All else seems 100%.

Thanks

Glenn

darkod
August 10th, 2012, 10:38 AM
How are you accessing the server, is it on your local LAN?

Did you activate any firewall on the server (by default it's disabled)?

Nixforce
August 10th, 2012, 10:53 AM
Hi,

It on a live domain running at a datacentre , i have moved my one domain onto the new server, and thats the domain the email belongs to.

darkod
August 10th, 2012, 11:00 AM
OK, and how about the second question. Did you activate any firewall on the server yourself?

I doubt a datacentre would block ports used by mailservers, so unless you activated your own firewall, something is strange.

Nixforce
August 10th, 2012, 07:54 PM
Hi,

I think my firewall is ok on the server, as ran an nmap on the IP (the live ip address), and get the folowing ports as open.

21/tcp open ftp
22/tcp open ssh
25/tcp open smtp
53/tcp open domain
80/tcp open http
110/tcp open pop3
143/tcp open imap
443/tcp open https
465/tcp open smtps
587/tcp open submission
993/tcp open imaps
995/tcp open pop3s
3306/tcp open mysql

Im still new at some of this, and do read ups on how to check, im hoping its correct.

darkod
August 10th, 2012, 08:25 PM
I noticed something comparing the refuse message you posted in your first post and the nmap results.

The nmap says port open for 110 and tcp protocol.
The message in your first post says connection refused on port 110 protocol POP.

Not sure if it has anything to do with it, I am not familiar with any pop protocols.

Apart from that, it seems you answered your original question. Port 110 doesn't seem blocked so it might be some setting on the server refusing the connection (as the refuse message literary says). But I'm not expert enough with mailserver setups, so I doubt I could help more.

SeijiSensei
August 11th, 2012, 01:41 AM
What error message do you see in /var/log/mail.log when you try to log in? It doesn't look like a problem with the port being blocked, but an authentication problem of some kind.

Try logging in manually with telnet like this:

$ telnet server.example.com 110
[dovecot banner]
user username
[should return OK]
pass password
[should return OK]

Your server also exposes the IMAP port 143. What happens if you log in using:

$ telnet server.example.com 143
[banner]
1 login username password