PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Suggest the apt Oracle download please...

xachu4u
August 10th, 2012, 01:57 AM
I am doing java programming in eclipse indigo. Right now i need to do an oracle database connection.

I have mysql installed, but I need an oracle sql server(as per my curriculum)

I went to the oracle.com to try download the suitable package, thats when my confusion began.

All my classmates use windows and have installed oracle express edition 11g (2 GB to download)

I want it for ubuntu. The link was given there, but that download provides a lot of tools i don't require.

I believe downloading SQL developer(170 MB only) will meet my requirements..am i right?
Can u suggest the exact tool from oracle, that i need to download.?
please provide the link.

(my friend also suggested to me about a portable oracle database edition....please comment on that too)

2F4U
August 10th, 2012, 06:57 AM
If you need a database, SQL Developer is not sufficient. It is only a graphical tool to access a database. Installing Oracle on a Linux machine is more complex than installing it on a Windows box. There are guides available on the internet.

codemaniac
August 10th, 2012, 08:41 AM
I am doing java programming in eclipse indigo. Right now i need to do an oracle database connection.

I have mysql installed, but I need an oracle sql server(as per my curriculum)

I went to the oracle.com to try download the suitable package, thats when my confusion began.

All my classmates use windows and have installed oracle express edition 11g (2 GB to download)

I want it for ubuntu. The link was given there, but that download provides a lot of tools i don't require.

I believe downloading SQL developer(170 MB only) will meet my requirements..am i right?
Can u suggest the exact tool from oracle, that i need to download.?
please provide the link.

(my friend also suggested to me about a portable oracle database edition....please comment on that too)

First of all SQL Server is a Microsoft product and not a Oracle one .Oracle SQL Developer is an Integrated development environment (IDE) for working with SQL in Oracle and other databases.

Oracle express edition server is all free and good for a starter database .

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/products/express-edition/downloads/index.html

xachu4u
August 10th, 2012, 12:07 PM
If you need a database, SQL Developer is not sufficient. It is only a graphical tool to access a database. Installing Oracle on a Linux machine is more complex than installing it on a Windows box. There are guides available on the internet.
ok. Thanks

So i will have to install the oracle express edition..
no other option..right?

2F4U
August 10th, 2012, 12:17 PM
ok. Thanks

no other option..right?

Wrong. You can install almost any version of the Oracle database on Ubuntu, as I already said, but it is not as easy.

Here is one guide I found by doing a quick search on the web, to give you an impression:

http://edin.no-ip.com/comment/377

codemaniac
August 10th, 2012, 01:29 PM
ok. Thanks

no other option..right?

There is significant differences between Enterprise, Standard and Personal Editions of Oracle database .
Please read the below link .

http://www.orafaq.com/faq/what_is_the_difference_between_the_enterprise_stan dard_and_personal_editions_of_oracle