PDA

View Full Version : [kde] How to properly configure KDE

Kalantir
August 9th, 2012, 05:39 PM
So I tried Kubuntu for a little while and then decided to install openSuSE. After messing with openSuSE for awhile, I have determined that I prefer Kubuntu because of the huge amount of community support and the software manager (apt-get vs zypper). Anyways, since I have started using openSuSE, I have noticed a couple differences in the way KDE behaves. Before I get rid of openSuSE, I would just like to make sure I can reproduce this behavior in Kubuntu.

1. Grid Desktop and Grouping Desktop
In the desktop settings on Kubuntu 12.04 there are several layouts to choose from. They are: Newspaper Layout, Folder View, Desktop, and Search and Launch. In openSuSE I additionally have the option to select Grid Desktop and Grouping Desktop. I really like Grid Desktop and would like to know how to enable that in Kubuntu.

2. System Tray
I have also noticed that the system tray widget on the panel behaves slightly differently. For example, in Kubuntu, when I have Deluge running and it is minimized to the system tray, I have to right-click and select "Show Deluge"(and even then it shows up minimized). I must also follow the same procedure for other programs which are minimized to the system tray. In openSuSE I only need to left click once on the icon and it maximizes the program.

mparillo
August 10th, 2012, 03:18 PM
1. Grid Desktop and Grouping Desktop
In the desktop settings on Kubuntu 12.04 there are several layouts to choose from. They are: Newspaper Layout, Folder View, Desktop, and Search and Launch. In openSuSE I additionally have the option to select Grid Desktop and Grouping Desktop. I really like Grid Desktop and would like to know how to enable that in Kubuntu.

I found this:
http://userbase.kde.org/Plasma/GroupingDesktop#Grid_Desktop
I hope it helps

mparillo
August 10th, 2012, 03:25 PM
2. System Tray
I have also noticed that the system tray widget on the panel behaves slightly differently. For example, in Kubuntu, when I have Deluge running and it is minimized to the system tray, I have to right-click and select "Show Deluge"(and even then it shows up minimized). I must also follow the same procedure for other programs which are minimized to the system tray. In openSuSE I only need to left click once on the icon and it maximizes the program.

I cannot speak to Deluge, but when I single-left-click on the Software Update system tray icon, or the Message Indicator Icon (where Ubuntu One QT goes in Kubuntu), it seems to pop up just like I would expect. Just don't get me started on the Spell Checking icon.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/kde-workspace/+bug/1019319