PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Focus feature in unity scale plugin

newcolour78
August 9th, 2012, 03:46 AM
Hi all,
I have been thinking about this for some time and I have not been able to find a solution. I really love the super-w scale plugin feature (apart from the known bug in 12.04). However, where there are multiple windows, the size of them becomes so small that it is practically impossible to distinguish between different windows of the same program. So, if I have 3 libreoffice files open on 3 different windows, it suffice me to have a couple more windows not to be able to distinguish between the 3 LO windows. So I keep choosing between them until I strike the right one. So my question (finally) is: Is there any "focus" feature in the scale plugin (or anywhere else, for that matter) that might increase the size of the window when I roll the mouse over it, or something similar to that?

It would be sufficient just have the name of the file open below the window when scale is called, or something like that, actually.

I hope I was clear enough.

Cheers in advance,
S.

deadvirus
September 11th, 2012, 02:12 AM
I don't know about any "focues" feature, but you can make the window title appear over the window.

Just install "compiz-plugins-extra" and then in Compiz Configuration System go to the "Scale Addons" plugin, Appearance tab and configure the Window Title options.

Make sure that the "Text" plugin is also active.

markbl
September 11th, 2012, 05:45 AM
Hi all,
So, if I have 3 libreoffice files open on 3 different windows, it suffice me to have a couple more windows not to be able to distinguish between the 3 LO windows.
Apart from the scale option above to add text labels (which I used to use but no longer do because I find Compiz too fragile when you set esoteric options like that), don't forget about the ALT+<key above tab> option to see and step through only the windows of the current app. The <key above tab> is normally backtick (`) on US keyboards.

newcolour78
September 14th, 2012, 12:53 AM
Thank you Deadvirus, it works perfectly for my needs. I had not been able to figure out that I needed the text plugin enables too for the scale feature to work.

Markbl: Thanks very much. That is also very useful, and I did not know about the alt+` switcher.