PDA

View Full Version : Now this is good news.. steam to offer more than just games

Primefalcon
August 8th, 2012, 08:43 PM
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTE1NjM

as stated

Steam distribution software will go beyond just offering games and will provide applications from "creativity to productivity" software.

Now this is good news indeed with steam coming to Linux eh

forrestcupp
August 8th, 2012, 08:57 PM
So now that Steam coming to Linux is a reality, Phoronix has to find some other way to stretch it to an unbelievable level. :D

Primefalcon
August 8th, 2012, 08:58 PM
So now that Steam coming to Linux is a reality, Phoronix has to find some other way to stretch it to an unbelievable level. :D
Phoronix? here's the announcement from Steam themselves: http://store.steampowered.com/news/8584/. so this is pretty much reality too

pqwoerituytrueiwoq
August 8th, 2012, 09:08 PM
so when we install steam we will have 2 update managers... not having to deal with 15 software providers trying to get you to install x toobar and software was one of the best thing i got from switching to linux, all update for everything in one place, i could deal with 2, but still

vexorian
August 8th, 2012, 09:09 PM
Steam coming to Linux does not mean all the games and apps hosted in steam will work in Linux. In the first versions of Steam I doubt we will ever see enough games to need more than 1 digit to count them. With applications it sounds worse, I wouldn't really expect any application appearing in Linux's steam soon.

^ You don't have to install steam, you know. Right now I doubt I would. Unless the games are VERY good and run VERY bad in WINE.

Primefalcon
August 8th, 2012, 09:10 PM
so when we install steam we will have 2 update managers... not having to deal with 15 software providers trying to get you to install x toobar and software was one of the best thing i got from switching to linux, all update for everything in one place, i could deal with 2, but still
heh you don't have to install steam

Mahdi D
August 8th, 2012, 09:44 PM
I heard they runned Left 4 Dead 2 on ubuntu with more FPS than Windows, that made them totally AMAZED! :D

I'm really glad that Gaming is getting improved in Linux.

doorknob60
August 8th, 2012, 09:47 PM
This is a very good thing. Sure, now you have two different things managing your software, and this competes with the Ubuntu Software Center. But what about users of Debian, Fedora, Arch, OpenSuse, etc.? They don't have the Ubuntu Software Center. Now instead of publishers selling their programs for only ONE distro on USC, now they can sell their programs for ALL Linux distros through Steam. Very good thing :)

vexorian
August 8th, 2012, 10:29 PM
I heard they runned Left 4 Dead 2 on ubuntu with more FPS than Windows, that made them totally AMAZED! :D

I'm really glad that Gaming is getting improved in Linux.
When they say more FPS, do they say with same graphics quality?

now they can sell their programs for ALL Linux distros through Steam. Very good thing Full 100% compatibility with all distros is impossible. I think that Steam will cover only some of the few popular distros.

thatguruguy
August 9th, 2012, 12:51 AM
This is a very good thing. Sure, now you have two different things managing your software, and this competes with the Ubuntu Software Center. But what about users of Debian, Fedora, Arch, OpenSuse, etc.? They don't have the Ubuntu Software Center. Now instead of publishers selling their programs for only ONE distro on USC, now they can sell their programs for ALL Linux distros through Steam. Very good thing :)

Actually, Steam is only being released for Ubuntu, initially.

Primefalcon
August 9th, 2012, 01:15 AM
Actually, Steam is only being released for Ubuntu, initially.
well that means it'll run on Mint, PinguyOS along with a bunch other and probably on Debian.... Which means 90% of Desktop Linux users...

A lot of other distrp's like Fedora and such would probably complain too much about it being closed anyhow, and gentoo users would whine that they can't compile it themselves so it's too far below them... so....

forrestcupp
August 9th, 2012, 02:09 AM
You can bet that Microsoft Office won't be one of the productivity apps being sold on Steam. ;)

Primefalcon
August 9th, 2012, 02:33 AM
You can bet that Microsoft Office won't be one of the productivity apps being sold on Steam. ;)
Nor Anything adobe tbh

megamister
August 9th, 2012, 04:53 AM

Aaaaaaawwwwe but how will I run my Office and edit my Word documents?????;)

vexorian
August 9th, 2012, 05:05 AM
well that means it'll run on Mint, PinguyOS along with a bunch other and probably on Debian.... Which means 90% of Desktop Linux users...

A lot of other distrp's like Fedora and such would probably complain too much about it being closed anyhow, and gentoo users would whine that they can't compile it themselves so it's too far below them... so....
Probably on Debian sounds a bit too hopeful. But anyway, the software center already runs in those OSes, so at least at first, Steam wouldn't be revolutionary in the aspect of software that runs in many distros.