PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] What version of ubuntu 12.04 lts to install?

brattz1292
August 8th, 2012, 04:49 PM
I am new to the ubuntu operating system. I tried on my old dell desktop and I am liking it. I want to install it on my laptop but i am not sure what version should i use ( i used the 32bit for my old desktop).
Here is my laptop specs
amd anthlon (tm) dual core 2.2
3GB of ram
64 bit operating system.

i want to use to use it on my laptop because for some reason my windows 7 would crash after 10 mins or so.
Would you suggest dual booting? or just remove the windows

Frogs Hair
August 8th, 2012, 05:46 PM
Hello and Welcome

According to the link 32 bit should work with 3GB of ram .http://howtoubuntu.org/how-to-decide-if-you-should-use-32bit-or-64bit-ubuntu/

If Windows was preinstalled you may want to give some thought to removing it if you don't have a way of restoring it via disk or recovery partition on the hard drive.

As a collage student Windows is a must for me.I also use Windows for gaming which eliminates the need for using Wine to run Windows applications in Ubuntu. Wine runs some applications very well and others simply don't work or run poorly. Dual booting works best for me right now.

If you decide to dual boot I would try and get the Windows problem figured out before proceeding.

stanciugabriel
August 8th, 2012, 06:04 PM
You should use the 32bit version. The 64bit one it's better for multitasking, recognizes a quantity of RAM bigger than 3 GB, but it uses more memory. It's recommended to use it for 4 or more RAM.
But, if you want to upgrade to 4GB, go with the 64bit then.

If you have a smaller ( 160< ) HDD, and you don't need or use Windows apps, then 'kill' the WIndows.
Anyway, if you need Windows-only apps, but you want to get rid of Windows, then get Wine and/or install Windows on a virtual machine ( e.g. VirtualBox ).

TheFu
August 8th, 2012, 06:06 PM
I would probably plan to dual boot. Ubuntu will run great on 15G of storage and you can access data files on the Windows7 partition easily until you have a year or so of happy Ubuntu use.

I hate to say this, but should you decide to sell your laptop, the next user will probably want the Win7 license and easily accessible. Sometimes laptop vendors only provide support if Windows is loaded on the PC and their firmware and BIOS update tools require Windows too.

For laptops, it is very common for the vendor to put out patches for the BIOS and firmware to improve stability. If I were you, I'd search for those and install all that you find in the proper order as the vendor suggests.