PDA

View Full Version : Mac advertisements

Mathiasdm
June 26th, 2006, 11:03 AM
There's a lot of Mac advertising going on (with the Intel switch and everything).

One of the reasons listed to switch to a Mac: "Now, with Bootcamp, you're able to install Windows, and even Linux!"

I know, it's probably meant as a: "You can even install OS'es that barely have any impact."
But why does it make me think it's another recognition for Linux?

Lord Illidan
June 26th, 2006, 11:14 AM
Gah... Linux is used more than the Mac. The difference is that the Mac has more advertising power and is heard of more. Brand power does make a difference.

BWF89
June 26th, 2006, 12:41 PM
I like the new commercials where they have the 2 guys one representing a PC and the other a Mac.

But I didn't hear them mention Linux in their bootcamp commercial.

FISHERMAN
June 26th, 2006, 01:02 PM
I like the new commercials where they have the 2 guys one representing a PC and the other a Mac.

AFAIK, IT is only mentioned in their written ads(magazines).

%hMa@?b<C
June 26th, 2006, 01:06 PM
i want to see that one, can anyone scan a copy?

FISHERMAN
June 26th, 2006, 01:08 PM
i want to see that one, can anyone scan a copy?
I have one (but It's in Dutch).

%hMa@?b<C
June 26th, 2006, 01:20 PM
scan it anyway please. Thats what babelfish is for :)

FISHERMAN
June 26th, 2006, 01:30 PM
I'll translate it for you, so you won't have to go to Babelfish:

Why will your next portable be a MacBook?

The MacBook is the sexiest, most profitable and most Complete Mac ever. Out of the box he comes with Mac OS X and iLife '06, the most simple and best solution for your digital life: internet, digital music, making your own movies, DVD's, blogs and podcasts: everything is easier and more beautiful on a Mac!
Thanks to the new generation Intel Core Duo processors, your Macbook will flawlessly run Windows and even Linux.

bruce89
June 26th, 2006, 02:19 PM
I don't like the way they say "PC" when they mean "Windows PC". There is nothing wrong with the hardware, it isn't the virus-ridden thing, that is Windows.

I like the way that Apple recognises Linux now.

GuitarHero
June 26th, 2006, 03:23 PM
Well Saying "I'm a mac" and "Im a windows PC" doesnt sound as good. And to the guy who said linux is more wisespread than macs, think again.

bruce89
June 26th, 2006, 03:29 PM
Well Saying "I'm a mac" and "Im a windows PC" doesnt sound as good. And to the guy who said linux is more wisespread than macs, think again.
No it doesn't sound as good, but it is wrong the way they do it.

Most surveys have Linux and Mac about the same. W3schools (http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp) (technical), has Mac at 3.3%, Linux at 4.4% and XP at 74%. (other windows' make up 100%)

warp99
June 26th, 2006, 03:30 PM

If you include servers and embedded devices Linux is more widespread than Mac OS X. :cool:

Brunellus
June 26th, 2006, 03:38 PM
...but they are. There aren't a lot of macintosh webservers. But there *are* legions of Linux servers, everywhere.

lapsey
June 26th, 2006, 04:25 PM

why should they make pc's look better when they just want people to buy their hardware

jeremyclarke
July 15th, 2006, 09:33 PM
Has anyone considered the implications of Apple only advertising the Linux based bonus (note that it's NOT gnu/linux, I can hear Stallman crying) in Dutch contexts? Is FOSS more popular in Holland or Europe generally?

Also, I really really want to see apple have three guys in a commercial, with some hippie-coder-freak with a long beard representing gnu/linux and seeming super smart but being really complicated (he could be like mumbling about config files and stufF). Even though it would obviously be anti-FOSS on some level it could be funny, also, for Apple, the funky "i'm a mac' dude would be like "oh, I'm based on a solid unix base that makes me powerfull and secure too. Sorry, what, I don't understand anything you say!"

RAV TUX
July 15th, 2006, 09:49 PM
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=209945&highlight=mac

Stormy Eyes
July 15th, 2006, 11:36 PM
I don't like the way they say "PC" when they mean "Windows PC". There is nothing wrong with the hardware, it isn't the virus-ridden thing, that is Windows.

You might as well get used to it. "PC" meaning "Windows PC" goes back to the time when a PC was synonymous with IBM-compatible, since IBM's PC architecture was quite different from the architectures Apple was using back in the day (such as Intel CPUs vs. Motorola CPUs).

NESFreak
July 16th, 2006, 04:19 PM
Has anyone considered the implications of Apple only advertising the Linux based bonus (note that it's NOT gnu/linux, I can hear Stallman crying) in Dutch contexts? Is FOSS more popular in Holland or Europe generally?

firefox is more used in europe than enywhere else (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d0/Marketshare_worldwide.gif)

people know linux not gnu/linux. this way we know it means gnu/linux and the noobs also understand what aple is saying