PDA

View Full Version : Have you visited howtoubuntu.org?

lewisgoddard
August 8th, 2012, 12:57 PM
Did you find it helpful?
Share your experiences, tips, wants, dislikes, etc.

*Not self-promotion, no link.

t0p
August 8th, 2012, 03:33 PM
The poll questions/set-up is bad. What if I have visited it but think there are too many tutorial sites? I think a simple yes/no question would have been better.

Anyhoo: personally, I have not visited it, but I shall as soon as I've posted this. And I think the concept of "too many" tutorial sites is odd. A number of the posts on my blog are on the lines of "How to do something or other in Ubuntu/Linux", and they are amongst my most visited posts (though some of them need updating, thanks to the dynamics of computers and the internet and stuff - I'll get round to it...) As long as the sites are well-informed, I welcome their legions. There are quite a few sites out there that expect users to have a pre-existing knowledge of stuff, whereas many users (me, for example) had had little experience of computers since the microcomputer age in the 1980s.

Bachstelze
August 8th, 2012, 05:42 PM
No.

Also, "not self-promotion, no link" with the URL in the title...

castrojo
August 8th, 2012, 06:24 PM

What's wrong with the guy asking for feedback on his Ubuntu site on an Ubuntu forum? It's not like he's selling ****** or something.

lewisgoddard
August 8th, 2012, 07:51 PM
No.

How else was i supposed to identify the site?

And a link is click-able, the title is not.

forrestcupp
August 8th, 2012, 08:59 PM
No.

Also, "not self-promotion, no link" with the URL in the title...+1 :lol:

What's wrong with the guy asking for feedback on his Ubuntu site on an Ubuntu forum? It's not like he's selling ****** or something.

Nothing. It's just funny that he felt like he had to defend himself and say he didn't provide a link, when he provided the link in the title. ;)

lewisgoddard
August 9th, 2012, 09:55 AM
Nothing. It's just funny that he felt like he had to defend himself and say he didn't provide a link, when he provided the link in the title. ;)

Again, you seem to be confusing a link with an address.

drawkcab
August 9th, 2012, 06:50 PM
google has sent me there once or twice

BrokenKingpin
August 9th, 2012, 07:17 PM
Yes I have, but only by coming to it from a Google search. It has provided a few solutions for me, but I can't really judge the overall quality of the website. I do find it better than the out of date wiki's for Ubuntu when searching for how to do something though.

Primefalcon
August 9th, 2012, 07:45 PM
question for the mods/staff. Would of there been an issue eve if he did include a link.... guy really was just asking for feedback...

KiwiNZ
August 9th, 2012, 08:09 PM
I don't see an issue, refer Code of conduct.....

"Spam (unsolicited advertising): Spam will be moved to Spamalot in the forum Jail and the account posting it will likely be banned. You are allowed to have links to personal sites in your signature and in your profile, and may post them in threads on occasion (just not often, please) as long as the content of the site linked does not include material that violates this code of conduct and if you are not posting any other form of advertising."

Primefalcon
August 9th, 2012, 08:20 PM
I don't see an issue, refer Code of conduct.....

"Spam (unsolicited advertising): Spam will be moved to Spamalot in the forum Jail and the account posting it will likely be banned. You are allowed to have links to personal sites in your signature and in your profile, and may post them in threads on occasion (just not often, please) as long as the content of the site linked does not include material that violates this code of conduct and if you are not posting any other form of advertising."
That's what I remembered reading. Thank you Mr Staff Member:D

So Mr/Mrs/Mz OP, feel free to put a clickable link :-)

forrestcupp
August 9th, 2012, 09:11 PM
Again, you seem to be confusing a link with an address.
I'll be fair. You're right. You didn't put a link; you made it harder on us by only putting an address. :)

But like everyone has said, it's not a big deal to go ahead and put a link on here.

johnathansmith
August 9th, 2012, 09:23 PM
Actually i never visit that site. Always end up on launchpad.

lewisgoddard
August 9th, 2012, 10:13 PM
I posted this because i was wondering how we are so quickly and highly ranked for "how to install ubuntu precise pangolin 12.04" and "things to do after installing ubuntu precise pangolin" on Google.

Yes I have, but only by coming to it from a Google search. It has provided a few solutions for me, but I can't really judge the overall quality of the website. I do find it better than the out of date wiki's for Ubuntu when searching for how to do something though.

I think this is the general situation:
Design and Content are better because of recency, not superior quality.

Also, it's insightful to see how few people we've touched, considering we know the lower-limit for the number we have.

vasa1
August 10th, 2012, 04:22 AM
Yes, I visited briefly. It seems to be a collection of links to tutorials (or howtos). It's like an aggregator of related items. I'm not sure that I came across any original content in my brief visit.

Mr.Plex
August 10th, 2012, 04:29 AM
I checked it out before I opened this post. Looks like a good site to check out every month or so. Thanks for bringing attention to it.

:guitar:

lewisgoddard
August 10th, 2012, 03:59 PM
Yes, I visited briefly. It seems to be a collection of links to tutorials (or howtos). It's like an aggregator of related items. I'm not sure that I came across any original content in my brief visit.

Almost all the content was written by me, there are a couple of Nixie Pixel tutorials on there too.