PDA

View Full Version : [lubuntu] changing window manager in lubuntu

abhishektrivedi
August 8th, 2012, 11:24 AM
can I change the window manager of my lubuntu 11.04 from openbox to metacity or any other? If yes then how? Plz help me.

SantaFe
August 8th, 2012, 12:07 PM
can I change the window manager of my lubuntu 11.04 from openbox to metacity or any other? If yes then how? Plz help me.I THINK you can open a term window & type this: metacity --replace &

That should replace openbox with metacity, assuming you HAVE metacity already. to go back just repeat with openbox in place of metacity.

But I'd wait till someone with more experience than I chimes in. ;)

Austin Texas
August 8th, 2012, 09:12 PM
I am no expert either, but I believe that you can switch to metacity (2d) at the login screen by clicking on the ubuntu logo

MG&TL
August 8th, 2012, 09:29 PM
I THINK you can open a term window & type this: metacity --replace &

That should replace openbox with metacity, assuming you HAVE metacity already. to go back just repeat with openbox in place of metacity.

But I'd wait till someone with more experience than I chimes in. ;)

That will work, but as soon as you log out, it will die. :)

I am no expert either, but I believe that you can switch to metacity (2d) at the login screen by clicking on the ubuntu logo

Ubuntu-specific, this is Lubuntu. Nice try, though. Keep at it!

See this post: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=9875054&postcount=6 - for compiz, but same principle. I'm sure you get the idea.

abhishektrivedi
August 9th, 2012, 08:58 AM
I tried the procedure given by you and it works but as soon as i close the terminal window , all the window decorations disappear and all the windows come without border. any solution to this problem.

MG&TL
August 9th, 2012, 11:22 AM
I tried the procedure given by you and it works but as soon as i close the terminal window , all the window decorations disappear and all the windows come without border. any solution to this problem.

Given by whom? This sounds like you've run metacity --replace and then killed the process (by closing the terminal).

abhishektrivedi
August 9th, 2012, 12:38 PM
Given by SantaFe. But i found the solution by editing the etc/xdg/lxsession/Lubuntu/autostart
and adding "@matacity --replace" and now metacity is working correctly but I cannot find any tool to configure metacity themes. Also the right click pop-up menu is not working on desktop .Any Idea?

MG&TL
August 9th, 2012, 03:41 PM
Given by SantaFe. But i found the solution by editing the etc/xdg/lxsession/Lubuntu/autostart
and adding "@matacity --replace" and now metacity is working correctly but I cannot find any tool to configure metacity themes. Also the right click pop-up menu is not working on desktop .Any Idea?

The menu on the desktop is provided by openbox...

Can't help about the metacity themes, there must be one somewhere.