PDA

View Full Version : Acer CEO issues "mafia-style" warning to MS over Surface tablet

Porcini M.
August 7th, 2012, 11:35 PM
“We have said [to Microsoft] think it over,” [Acer CEO J.T. Wang] told the Financial Times. “Think twice. It will create a huge negative impact for the ecosystem and other brands may take a negative reaction. It is not something you are good at so please think twice.”

http://news.yahoo.com/acer-ceo-issues-mafia-style-warning-microsoft-over-202509755.html

Interesting. Are they expecting MS to *not* go ahead with Surface?

KiwiNZ
August 8th, 2012, 12:09 AM
good to see some humor.

Mikeb85
August 8th, 2012, 12:44 AM
On a serious note Microsoft got to where it is by being 'open' to any vendor, and allowing users choice of what software to load. They're now competing with their 'partners', jeopardizing their relationship with Intel, created a locked down 'metro' app store, and are barely existent in the mobile space...

Dell is attempting to sell Ubuntu notebooks once again (soon anyway), Valve is embracing Linux and trashing Microsoft, all Microsoft's partners are using Android for mobile, and now Acer is dismayed with MS...

Microsoft should stick to what they're good at (or best at), Windows 8 is a decent product on it's own, but by attempting to exert Apple-style control over everything Microsoft is jeopardizing their own market share, and opening the door for Google and everyone else to eat their lunch...

vexorian
August 8th, 2012, 06:22 AM
Yahoo news might be the most impartial news source ever.

Lucradia
August 8th, 2012, 04:22 PM
Yahoo news might be the most impartial news source ever.

Didn't Microsoft buy Yahoo?

Mikeb85
August 8th, 2012, 04:40 PM
Didn't Microsoft buy Yahoo?

No. They considered it, but didn't. They have an agreement for sharing technology related to search, but that's about it (and Microsoft screwed them on it). Also, considering the new Yahoo CEO is a former longtime Google exec, I think they probably are fairly impartial these days...

madjr
August 8th, 2012, 04:43 PM
On a serious note Microsoft got to where it is by being 'open' to any vendor, and allowing users choice of what software to load. They're now competing with their 'partners', jeopardizing their relationship with Intel, created a locked down 'metro' app store, and are barely existent in the mobile space...

Dell is attempting to sell Ubuntu notebooks once again (soon anyway), Valve is embracing Linux and trashing Microsoft, all Microsoft's partners are using Android for mobile, and now Acer is dismayed with MS...

Microsoft should stick to what they're good at (or best at), Windows 8 is a decent product on it's own, but by attempting to exert Apple-style control over everything Microsoft is jeopardizing their own market share, and opening the door for Google and everyone else to eat their lunch...

in other words: good news :)

newbie2
August 8th, 2012, 04:48 PM
(I imagine Steve Ballmer huffing, “Let them eat Linux!”).
http://lxer.com/module/forums/t/33699/
:P

Porcini M.
August 8th, 2012, 07:22 PM
No. They considered it, but didn't.

MS made a very good offer, but the Yahoo board rejected it. Yahoo stock is now valued much lower than what MS offered at the time.

Linuxratty
August 8th, 2012, 11:08 PM
good to see some humor.

I agree. made me smile.

vexorian
August 8th, 2012, 11:22 PM
Acer might be right actually. Microsoft has always had power with the OEMs, the OEMs have always been their right arm. The OEMs did the hardware, Microsoft received their lovely tax.

Microsoft might need the surface to promote their Titanic new operating system, but it might backfire in that, if Microsoft is too successful with the Surface, the OEMs will start seeing MS as a competitor, then why trust it? If the Surface is not successful enough, then MS haters like me already have prepared their next slogan: Not even MS can make a device that can run win8 correct. Thus Microsoft might be going to a lose-lose bit. Specially because microsoft are still too dedicated towards windows' success.

KiwiNZ
August 8th, 2012, 11:47 PM
Acer might be right actually. Microsoft has always had power with the OEMs, the OEMs have always been their right arm. The OEMs did the hardware, Microsoft received their lovely tax.

Microsoft might need the surface to promote their Titanic new operating system, but it might backfire in that, if Microsoft is too successful with the Surface, the OEMs will start seeing MS as a competitor, then why trust it? If the Surface is not successful enough, then MS haters like me already have prepared their next slogan: Not even MS can make a device that can run win8 correct. Thus Microsoft might be going to a lose-lose bit. Specially because microsoft are still too dedicated towards windows' success.

MSFT are not producing the Surface devices they are being made by OEM's

Dr. C
August 9th, 2012, 12:46 AM
MSFT are not producing the Surface devices they are being made by OEM's

This is all about who brands the product as opposed to who makes the product.

KiwiNZ
August 9th, 2012, 12:56 AM
This is all about who brands the product as opposed to who makes the product.

I don't see the problem