PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] JSP on a Webserver with Ubuntu 12.04 using Apache2 Tomcat7 Java7

overtonemagic
August 7th, 2012, 07:57 PM
Hello there!

Could anybody please help me to get JSP working? I am not a complete idiot, but I've spent three days now trying to figure out how this works, reading countless tutorials and forum discussions which all seem to tell anything completely different. I have been using Ubuntu for about two years now, so I know some basics, but I never dived in really deep, so I'm still feeling quite new to it. Up to now, GNU/Linux has always impressed me positively, but now I know about one of the negative aspects of a system, that is constantly being changed by lots of individuals, while there are more and more components to be added to more and more different distributions. In fact, I have now been gathering lots of informations, but still couldn't make use of them, since I am missing the informations I need for my "special" case, depending on the components I am using, because everything seems to be changed from version to version, and all the directories, files and so on, which seem to be spread randomly anywhere around the system, are different in each case!

This is why I would really appreciate some direct help (no more tutorials) for my case:
I am using the Webserver of a friend, which got Ubuntu 12.04 installed (we control it mainly via remote control), and I have installed Java7 and Tomcat7 out of the repositories. I really don't mind, which components to use, as long as everything works and stays free.

I know a couple of programming languages, but I have almost no experiences in webhosting and no knowledge in Java at all (yet), so please don't expect me to know too much.

I really want to start learning Java as soon as possible. The one who helps me can have my Hello World program for free.

Greetings,
overtonemagic

ubunwhat
August 7th, 2012, 08:45 PM
You haven't really explained the problem that you are having. Are you using Tomcat as your HTTP server as well? If so, it really is straightforward. If you're trying to run Tomcat as your Java server off of Apache as your HTTP server then yeah, it can get fairly confusing for a newbie. I can certainly appreciate the rant / frustration, but I'm not sure what you are looking for here. I hate to say it, but go back to one of your tutorials and work through a Hello World app. If it doesn't work come back and let us know what errors you're getting, or where things went wrong. From there it's really easy to trouble shoot. Odds are it's something small and silly and with one little tweak you'll be up and running in no time.

Oh, and don't hate me for suggesting another book / tutorial but the Heads Up Java Servers & JSP is just about as good, clear, and easy as you will ever find on the topic.

Some Penguin
August 8th, 2012, 12:53 AM
http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

especially

http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#beprecise
and
http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#explicit

overtonemagic
August 8th, 2012, 01:07 PM
Well, I thought I had discribed the problem... I cannot find any tutorial on setting up JSP on a Ubuntu 12.04 Webserver with Tomcat7 Java7 and Apache2. Whenever I try a tutorial, I end up at a point where I am told to do anything in a file or directory that doesn't exist on my system, because they change from version to version. Since this is not my server and I don't want to do anything wrong I wanted to ask for a guide from A-Z.
I thought anybody of you would probably know how to do it without much effort.

But now the server is down anyway, because the system doesn't boot any more - I don't know if this has to do with anything I've done thogh.

overtonemagic
August 8th, 2012, 09:02 PM
Well, we are using Plesk now and got everything working in no time. :)