PDA

View Full Version : Fifth Generation (5G) WiFi Is Coming

Shadius
August 7th, 2012, 07:33 PM
Hey everybody! :)

Fifth Generation WiFi Is Coming: Are You Ready For 801.11ac? (http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/253449/fifthgeneration_wifi_is_coming_are_you_ready_for_8 0211ac.html)

What are your thoughts on the fifth generation WiFi that's coming?
Will you upgrade to a new router to use 802.11ac, or not?

mips
August 7th, 2012, 08:18 PM
For me wireless has always been bad compared to a wired connection, I don't see it improving.

Paqman
August 7th, 2012, 08:51 PM
Will you upgrade to a new router to use 802.11ac, or not?

Er, eventually I suppose. There's only a couple of routers rocking it that are available IIRC, 802.11n has only just started becoming standard-issue, so it's a little early to be replacing hardware.

Eiji Takanaka
August 7th, 2012, 09:06 PM
Just be sure to disable wps eh? ;)

http://code.google.com/p/reaver-wps/

Shadius
August 8th, 2012, 01:06 AM
I might not upgrade right away, but when I do, I think I'll start tinkering with the old router.

Mikeb85
August 8th, 2012, 01:30 AM
Meh, around here the issue isn't WIFI speeds, but the limited bandwidth available to subscribers. The cable company advertises 25-100 mb/s, yet I've never seen more than 3 or 4 on a Wired connection. My HSPA+ Android phone gets much faster data speed than our 'Broadband' cable'...

Shadius
August 8th, 2012, 01:48 AM
Meh, around here the issue isn't WIFI speeds, but the limited bandwidth available to subscribers. The cable company advertises 25-100 mb/s, yet I've never seen more than 3 or 4 on a Wired connection. My HSPA+ Android phone gets much faster data speed than our 'Broadband' cable'...

I would have to agree with you on that.

kurt18947
August 8th, 2012, 09:25 AM

Your ISP is saying you should get 25 mb./sec. and you're getting 3-4 mb./sec? That SERIOUSLY sucks. We were getting around 3 mb./sec when we had 'slow' (according to cable co. ads) DSL. We now have Verizon FIOS. I don't care for some of Verizon's business and marketing practices but the service rocks. We're paying for 15/5 and get 5 up 25 down, they add on an extra 10 mb./sec. just because we have their 'triple play'. And that speed is consistent according to a couple different speed test sites.

Grenage
August 8th, 2012, 09:31 AM
For me wireless has always been bad compared to a wired connection, I don't see it improving.

Amen; wireless is a last resort.

Paqman
August 8th, 2012, 08:47 PM
Your ISP is saying you should get 25 mb./sec. and you're getting 3-4 mb./sec? That SERIOUSLY sucks.

A lot of broadband is sold as "Up to XX" speeds, what you actually get depends on what your local infrastructure is like and how far you are from the exchange.

My broadband is unlimited speed, but I only get 3 down and 0.5 up because I'm yonks away from the exchange on copper.