PDA

View Full Version : Error: ELF header smaller than expected

alioz
August 7th, 2012, 05:24 PM
Hi guys,

I find myself in a somewhat similar situation and my brain has run out of ideas...

I got hold of an old Eee pc. I don t remember which Windows was on it but I have tried to install Ubuntu 12.04 with a live usb as a dual-os. Everything went ok and both os were working pretty well. (quick question: is it normal that if I remove the usb driver (live usb), then the computer does not show a grub screen and boot straight into windows??)

Anyway, here is my real problem, I am not certain what I have done but everything was alright, I think I was trying to find a solution to completely delete windows or something that would help me to work on Ubuntu without the USB but keeping both os….and paffff I can’t use the computer anymore!!! Now, as soon as I turn it on, I get a black screen with the following:

Error: ELF header smaller than expected
grub rescue>

I have tried many things from the internet but impossible to solve it, I can’t even reinstall Ubuntu, impossible to get another screen whether I use the USB or not. The computer does not reach the BIOS so I can t set him to boot on the USB. I can t login as root, since it does not recognize the command su or sudo. I know there has been many posts on this stuff but still could not find anything that suits my issue. I would be more than greatful if anyone could help me out or even redirect me somewhere that might be helpfully HELPFUL!! :)

coffeecat
August 7th, 2012, 06:11 PM
Moved to its own thread and given suitable title.

@alioz, please use the default font and size, except for highlighting or emphasis purposes.

alioz
August 7th, 2012, 10:28 PM
hey sure, sorry for that. Thanks for your help!

Also I am not a complete noob but defo not an expert...

Cheers

alioz
August 13th, 2012, 05:11 PM
can anyone help pls??

oldfred
August 13th, 2012, 09:10 PM
I just might reinstall grub2. Something is missing. If Boot-Repair does not fix it, then post link to Boot-Info report.

Boot Repair -Also handles LVM, GPT, separate /boot and UEFI dual boot.:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair
You can repair many boot issues with this or 'Create BootInfo' report (Other Options) & post the link it creates, so we can see your exact configuration an diagnose advanced problems.