PDA

View Full Version : Checking for updates eats bandwidth..

Ravi5kumar
August 7th, 2012, 04:25 PM
Why the hell the apt command:

sudo apt-get update

Always eats my precious bandwidth (20-25 MB):confused:. I am annoyed because whenever I check for updates or add a third party repository I have to type this command and it just eats:(...

vasa1
August 7th, 2012, 04:30 PM

sudo apt-get update

Always eats my precious bandwidth (20-25 MB):confused:. I am annoyed because whenever I check for updates or add a third party repository I have to type this command and it just eats:(...

Maybe you have too many sources? And you have ticked source code?

Go into update manager and maybe you can untick a lot of stuff?

PaulW2U
August 7th, 2012, 04:31 PM

sudo apt-get update

This has been raised by quite a few users elsewhere and has got worse with the release of Ubuntu 12.04. A bug report has been raised although I can't provide a link to it at present. You are not alone with your concerns.

You might be able to reduce the download a little though. Do you have any repositories enabled that you don't really need such as Backports, Proposed Updates or Source Code? My download never goes above 17MB.

Edit: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/1001780 is the bug report I was referring to. It's shown as fixed although I still feel a check for updates consumes far more bandwith than it used to.

elliotn
August 7th, 2012, 04:48 PM
yeah 12.04 update its lots of bandwidth. I have no extra repo

mips
August 7th, 2012, 08:12 PM
Yes it got worse with 12.04 and I suspect it's due to multi-arch where you now get i386 & AMD64 stuff.

Besides that we also need deb-deltas. If this does not happen soon in debian based distros I'm moving to Fedora that offers DeltaRPM. It's not rocket science.

Unfortunately bandwidth is not cheap in all countries including mine.

doorknob60
August 7th, 2012, 08:34 PM
Wow. Hate to say this, but glad I don't use Ubuntu, because we constantly go over the bandwidth cap here (it's 150 GB which is pretty generous, but we still go over. 5 family members...) Just to update the repos in Arch uses nowhere near that amount. Although keeping up to date packages probably eats up a lot in a rolling release though...whatever :P

mips
August 7th, 2012, 09:28 PM
Although keeping up to date packages probably eats up a lot in a rolling release though...whatever :P

And that is the only reason why I don't use Arch right now. It's still my favourite distro though.