PDA

View Full Version : We want to have a forum on our Wordpress website

hanzj
August 7th, 2012, 01:58 PM
Hello,
We have a website that runs on Wordpress 3.4.1 (latest version today). We are thinking of creating a forum, where our website visitors can interact with each other and with us.

We want forum software that is easy to install, requires little to no coding, and whose appearance matches the rest of our Wordpressed website.

What do you all recommend?

Thank you.

SeijiSensei
August 7th, 2012, 02:05 PM
I don't know about matching the appearance of your site, but the Simple Machines Forum (http://www.simplemachines.org/) is free and easy to install but quite full-featured. You could probably customize the page designs to make it look more like your WP site.

coffeecat
August 7th, 2012, 02:13 PM
Mingle forum (http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/mingle-forum/) is a plugin for Wordpress which allows you to have a forum on one of your Wordpress pages. It's basic but does the job within its limitations. When I tried it on an admittedly short-lived website earlier this year, the skins that were then available for Mingle clashed nastily with the theme colours I had set up. I got round that by hacking the various gifs in the images folder to at least match the site colour scheme.

mastablasta
August 7th, 2012, 02:23 PM
depends what other features you need. but already mentioned SMF and phpBB are quite popular (lot's of addons) and easy to install and free.

if your needs and number of visitors are preety limited then i think wordpress also has some forum/comment plugins.

sandyd
August 7th, 2012, 06:46 PM
Hello,
We have a website that runs on Wordpress 3.4.1 (latest version today). We are thinking of creating a forum, where our website visitors can interact with each other and with us.

We want forum software that is easy to install, requires little to no coding, and whose appearance matches the rest of our Wordpressed website.

What do you all recommend?

Thank you.Use vanilla. It has really good integration with WP