PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts after getting ThinkPad T60

t_huankiat
June 26th, 2006, 07:04 AM
I just helped my girl friend to purchase a T60 online, got it few days ago. Now I have the chance to have a look at it. The initial thought was "hmm not bad, it's still an IBM's Thinkpad". But when I got further down, I realized that's not entirely true!

First change that I realized is that instead of the better quality plastic they used in T42/43 model around the palm rest area, the T60 is using the cheaper plastic that you find in R series!

Second is that the adapter is changed. I used to like the IBM's small adapter (compared that with Dell's and Sony's). Now not only do they replace the IBM logo with Lenovo's, they manage to make the adapter much bigger! (how?:confused:)

Third is they make the additional RAM installation extremely troublesome! It used to be pop up a small lit at the bottom of the laptop, insert the RAM and it's completed. Now, not only I need to unscrew five screws at the bottom, I also need to remove the entire palm rest area just to insert the RAM! When I did that, I could see how it was assembled. The way that they are put together reminded me of the time when I saw how Dell's laptop parts were assembled when the technician came... This moment, I feel like I'm working on a DELL laptop, not the "Superior" Thinkpad anymore. Well, T42 are put together in the similar way. But at least when I look at it, I feel as if it's a one piece laptop. (That makes me feel the laptop is classy for some reason)

Also, one thing to note is the keys. They used to have labels on the "Access IBM" key and those volume controls. On T60, not only do they label the words on the above the buttons, but they also manage to make the buttons looked so cheap!

Everything just looks so cheap and make me wonder why yet it's so expensive? It's a Dual-core, but Dell has the Dual-core for a much cheaper price. I have used R series and T series before, and I used to like them so much. But after this T60 incident, I think from now on I will just keep my T42 but if I need a new laptop later on, I'd have second thought on getting a ThinkPad

Lux Perpetua
June 26th, 2006, 10:53 AM
I would also have second thoughts on getting a ThinkPad, but for completely different reasons: Lenovo's proclaimed partnership with Microsoft won't do wonders for Linux support.

t_huankiat
June 26th, 2006, 03:22 PM
Well true. But the last time when I put Ubuntu on my T42, I didn't expect to find support information from IBM's website too. But there's always Google and Linux community to help up, or am I taking that for granted?

Super King
June 26th, 2006, 03:50 PM
That's a bummer, I was pretty sure I was gonna upgrade my R51 Thinkpad to a higher model Thinkpad next year, but I might be going somewhere else if the hardware quality from Lenovo isn't up to snuff.

t_huankiat
June 26th, 2006, 05:03 PM
That's a bummer, I was pretty sure I was gonna upgrade my R51 Thinkpad to a higher model Thinkpad next year
I still think the higher model (Say the T series) is better than R, that make sense for the money spent eh?

My problem for the T60 is just that when I spent that much, my expectation of quality is higher. The T60 just doesn't meet the expectation! I got my T42 last year, and it's much more expensive for the specs compared the price to other laptops. But I have no complaint because I still think the money was well spent.

The expectation of T60 doesn't even come close. Even though the specs is much superior than T42, it just looks cheap when you open the lit](*,)

John.Michael.Kane
June 26th, 2006, 05:28 PM
Those of you who like thinkpads should look into buying some of the older models pre-Lenovo. it maybe a little out dated ect however atleast your getting one that was made by IBM, and can still run linux on it.

t_huankiat
June 26th, 2006, 08:25 PM
Those of you who like thinkpads should look into buying some of the older models pre-Lenovo. it maybe a little out dated ect however atleast your getting one that was made by IBM, and can still run linux on it.
I agree. If my T42 broke, I will not hesitate to look for other brands*touch wood*. A MacBookPro maybe?:rolleyes: