PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Dapper Update Problem

Skimbleshanks
August 6th, 2012, 09:14 PM
A while back I came across a mention of a known bug in the update feature of the Dapper Drake version. IIRC Dapper is no longer supported so I may be flogging a dead horse here, but I'm hoping somebody will have an answer.

Why am I still using Dapper? well the hardware (195MB RAM) doesn't support anything further as far as I know.

Since I can no longer update most of the packages I am wondering if I should abandon Linux on this desktop (I have a live CD for DSL but it's nowhere near as polished as Xubuntu)?

HELP!

And in anticipation, Thank you.

QIII
August 6th, 2012, 09:39 PM
Bodhi Linux 2.0, which is based on Ubuntu 12.04, requires a 300 MHz processor, 128MB of RAM and 2.5GB of hard drive space. Remember that this is the very minimum.

It uses Enlightenment as the desktop, which is both very lightweight and configurable. It's pretty slick looking.

You might give that a look.

3Miro
August 7th, 2012, 02:53 AM
Your only option is a clean install of a new OS, Daper stopped being supported long time ago.

I think Windows XP needs more than RAM that that, between Linux and Windows, you have a better chance of finding a compatible Linux.

Try Lubuntu, it is Ubuntu with the lightest LXDE environment, it should be usable on your hardware.

claracc
August 7th, 2012, 08:19 AM
I think you can try lubuntu 12.04, as system requirements says, 195 RAM is enough (although perhaps slow, you have to try) to have lubuntu desktop running.

Skimbleshanks
August 7th, 2012, 05:19 PM
Thanks everybody for your suggestions. I have tried Lubuntu in an earlier version, so if Bodhi doesn't work out for me, will try that again. Failing that, I have a friend who has offered me some reclaimed memory expansion cards if they fit the board, so am more optimistic about being able to get rolling again.

And this is one of the most important features of the Open Source community to me: problems are never insurmountable, even if you have to wait a while to find the right help. YOU GUYS (AND LADIES) ROCK MY WORLD!

mcduck
August 7th, 2012, 05:24 PM
I have one nice system running a minimal install of 12.04, with Openbox as desktop and using around 40MB of RAM (after boot, excluding any applications I might want to use) of course. So if you are prepared to do some work to set up the system manually, even the latest Ubuntu versions are not unusable just because of memory requirements... :)