PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to increase the number of Recently Used Apps (Unity Dash)

apollothethird
August 6th, 2012, 08:36 PM
Can someone tell me how to increase the number of "Recently Used Apps" that appears in the Unity Dash when clicking on the "Apps" lens. The default number is 6. The apps that I frequently use is never in that list. I always have to type one or two characters to find the app I want to click on.

In previous versions the default number was larger and it saved me key stokes because my desired app was in the last.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions on this.

-- L. James

--
L. D. James
ljames@apollo3.com
www.apollo3.com/~ljames (http://www.apollo3.com/%7Eljames)

apollothethird
August 14th, 2012, 01:27 AM
Can someone tell me how to increase the number of "Recently Used Apps" that appears in the Unity Dash when clicking on the "Apps" lens. The default number is 6. The apps that I frequently use is never in that list. I always have to type one or two characters to find the app I want to click on.

In previous versions the default number was larger and it saved me key stokes because my desired app was in the last.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions on this.

I have solved this problem. I'll post the solution for anyone who might suffer the same.

First, because there wasn't any reply to this, it might suggest that there isn't a way to personally configure the number.

Also, where as I had referred to this feature "Apps Lens", I was looking at and trying to fix the problem I was experiencing with "Recent Apps" and "Recently Used". I was having the same problem with both.

The "Recently Used" lens still only shows 6. I wish there were a way to increase this number. However, at present (and possibly on your system) the "Recent Apps" lens gives you the option of clicking on a number or defaults to 6 when you first start the computer (Option: Recent # more results/See Fewer results). The function is satisfactory.

On my system it was resolved by running "unity --reset". I don't know what caused the problem. It might have been a glitch inherent from having upgraded to version 12.04 from 11:10.

Thanks for anyone who had read this thread and gave some thought in helping with the problem when I was having it. I hope my experience shared here will help anyone else that experience this glitch and spare them of the frustration of the lost functionality.

-- L. James

--
L. D. James
ljames@apollo3.com
www.apollo3.com/~ljames