PDA

View Full Version : bash script

plecebo.mc
August 6th, 2012, 12:56 PM
Hi guys I have been writing an autologin script for some friends at college so we can logon i finished the main program but now im working on adding some neat features to it. One of which is a preliminary check of the computers network connection and reliability.

Idea: The idea is to add a new section of code to my main script
the script will:
1) check to see that the network ssid matches one of the ones provided by the W# variables and also if 6 or more of 10 packs sent with ping are returned.
2) in the event that the first step fails the script will run a loop until the first step is true
3) when its done it will continue on with the rest of the script (not provided as this is a test script of these functions)

system: this code is written in bash and is used on osx (note: networkset and airport commands) even so it should not be an issue for you guys to check the script.

Problem: after countless trial and error and google and man pages i got every thing so far to work (as far as i know its correct) but the problem is the script seems to want to skip the whole entire ChangeNetwork function. Maybe im using the wrong syntax in my conditional's or maybe its something else either way i tried alot and now im having to resort to some outside help.

___
This is the script:

http://pastebin.com/FCuQ6u6K

____
This is my output:

bash -x test.sh
++ ping -c10 www.google.com
++ grep received
++ awk -F, '{ print $2}'
++ awk '{ print $1}'
+ ping=10
++ airport -I
++ grep -w SSID:
++ awk -F, '{ print $1}'
++ awk '{ print $2}'
+ ssid=Motorola
+ declare -ir FALSE=1
+ declare -ir TRUE=0
+ W1=AUStudentOpen
+ W2=AURESNET
+ W3=AUGuest
+ echo 'Initiating preliminary checks NOW!'
Initiating preliminary checks NOW!
+ '[' CheckOnline == 1 ']'

((ends after that))

Thanks everyone I'm looking forward to some helpful insight.

anden.d
August 6th, 2012, 01:39 PM
Could you post the actual code? might help shed some ligth on what's wrong
sorry didn't see the link

DarkAmbient
August 6th, 2012, 02:04 PM
I don't have much experience with bash, I might point out.. but let's try...

On line 49, if you add an echo before "Script is changing networks NOW!" will that line be printed? It's inside the first until loop.

Edit: didn't see your stop here comment..

And the `networksetup -setairportnetwork en1 $W1` lines, are you sure they works as they should, if at all?

plecebo.mc
August 6th, 2012, 02:49 PM
writing the following test script:

------------
#!/bin/sh

W1="Motorola"
`networksetup -setairportnetwork en1 $W1`

-------------

I get the following results:

(when $W1 is set for AUStudentOpen *not present*)

SteelBeauty:~ matt$ bash -x test2.sh
+ W1=AUStudentOpen
++ networksetup -setairportnetwork en1 AUStudentOpen
+ Could not find network AUStudentOpen.
test2.sh: line 4: Could: command not found

(when $W1 is set the Motorola *which is avalible*)
SteelBeauty:~ matt$ bash -x test2.sh
+ W1=Motorola
++ networksetup -setairportnetwork en1 Motorola
SteelBeauty:~ matt$

so it that code works correctly but maybe it exits because it cant connect using the command.

SideNote: i used have a function that scanned the wifi networks and would connect when the wifi ssid is present but i couldnt get grep and awk to grab the ssid by its self EX:

code: (example not original as i lost that revising)
------------------
scan=`airport -s`

function NetworkChange
{
blah blah
if [ $scan | grep '$W1' == '$W1'];then ### note1
`networksetup -setairportnetwork en1 $W1`
return ${TRUE}
elif blah blah

else
return ${FALSE}
}
---------------------
note1: the command is a rough example i needed to learn how to make it grab only the ssid which after countless trys i could not do.

_________

as for line 49 the result dose not return further proving its skiping the whole until operation

spjackson
August 6th, 2012, 02:54 PM
You say that this is bash, although I note that it has #!/bin/sh on line 1.

The syntax of your while line does not cause the function to be executed. At a bash prompt if you type

while [ fubar == 1 ]; do echo looping; done

it does not complain that fubar is not found. [I think it is simply testing whether the word fubar (or CheckOnline) is lexically equivalent to the word 1.]

There may be a snazzier way to do it, but being old school, I would write your main loop like this.

CheckOnline
ONLINE_STATUS=$?

while [ ${ONLINE_STATUS} -eq ${FALSE} ]; do
ChangeNetwork
CheckOnline
ONLINE_STATUS=$?
done

and similarly for your until loop within the ChangeNetwork function.

plecebo.mc
August 6th, 2012, 03:15 PM
Thanks guys i figured it out now thanks for that piece of code spjackson you helped me find a few bugs too everything works now