PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Installing first updates for Ubuntu 12.04. Potential for touchpad problems?

jnedenrod
August 6th, 2012, 12:54 AM
I just installed Ubuntu and ran the first round of updates and rebooted. I'm not having any problems as of yet, but in Googling Ubuntu 12.04 updates, I see a lot of people are having issues. Is there anything I need to avoid installing with my setup? (See setup below.)

Also, I had some issues with an unresponsive touchpad when using netbootin on a flash drive. I saw the forums had dozens of similar questions. Since my touchpad is working now, is there any reason (or update) that might cause it to stop working in the future? Is it coincidental that my touchpad problems always occurred when I had no internet connection?

First time Linux user
Installed Ubuntu 12.04 on 5 Aug 2012
Ubuntu installed on 32 GB flash drive
HP Pavilion dv6z-2100

mikewhatever
August 6th, 2012, 01:33 AM
What you've asked is somewhat vague. Any update can, potentially, cause or solve problems with any component. That said, updates are tested first, and if an update had needed to be avoided, it wouldn't have been offered in the first place.

Welcome to the forums.

jnedenrod
August 23rd, 2012, 08:24 AM
I'm guessing my unresponsive touchpad problems were caused by running Ubuntu from the flash drive, i.e. "trying it" instead of fully installing it to a flash drive.