PDA

View Full Version : 12.04

mick_86
August 5th, 2012, 05:30 PM
just installed 12.04 and just wondering if anyone else seems to find it a bit buggy?

Dylan1473
August 5th, 2012, 05:41 PM
I've been using it since shortly after it came out without problems I could trace to 12.04 itself. Mine is built from a minimal install, though, and I'm not even using Unity. What do you mean by buggy? What sort of problems are you having?

mick_86
August 5th, 2012, 05:44 PM
I've been using it since shortly after it came out without problems I could trace to 12.04 itself. Mine is built from a minimal install, though, and I'm not even using Unity. What do you mean by buggy? What sort of problems are you having?

pages freezing and a problem where it keeps disconnecting from wifi are the 2 main problems ive come across. also doesnt seem as fast as 10.10, a lot slower loading programmes and apps.

vexorian
August 5th, 2012, 05:46 PM
Switched from 10.10 to 12.04.

Once I got rid of unity and replaced it with fallback gnome it seems more responsive than 10.10.

Didn't find any major bug yet. Unity and gnome3 do feel to get slower the more your session lasts, just glad I have the choose to fallback.

Dylan1473
August 5th, 2012, 05:50 PM
I haven't encountered anything like that but again, I'm not using Unity/Gnome 3. I'm not saying there's anything necessarily wrong with them performance-wise (in fact I'm pretty sure they're designed to be netbook friendly, and they're certainly less demanding than Windows) it's just not my preference. Without knowing much about what's going on all I could think is that desktop environment can make a big difference. Do you have any others installed on your system you could try? I'm using Enlightenment which is performing beautifully right now but it's still in development so every once in a while an update will come along that messes things up pretty bad for a day or so.

Alternatively, you could try using system monitor to see what's up next time things get laggy and freezy. Additionally, I doubt the wifi thing is a desktop environment problem, not sure what you'd do about random disconnects though. I'm not gonna get too much into support stuff though since it seems you're just curious if anyone else is having problems.

vasa1
August 5th, 2012, 05:53 PM
What's your hardware?

vexorian
August 5th, 2012, 05:55 PM
I think compiz tends to cause freezes sometimes when video card is not very well supported. If you try Unity2D do you get them?

mick_86
August 5th, 2012, 06:10 PM
Alternatively, you could try using system monitor to see what's up next time things get laggy and freezy. Additionally, I doubt the wifi thing is a desktop environment problem, not sure what you'd do about random disconnects though. I'm not gonna get too much into support stuff though since it seems you're just curious if anyone else is having problems.

the wifi problem didn't happen with 10.10 installed, only became a problem with 12.04 installed.

vexorian
August 5th, 2012, 06:14 PM
There's almost always a new hardware regression which each release that affects some hardware users. I've been through many of them :(

Try googling 12.04 with the name of your wireless hardware, there might be other people with your issue and maybe even fixes.

mick_86
August 5th, 2012, 06:17 PM
There's almost always a new hardware regression which each release that affects some hardware users. I've been through many of them :(

Try googling 12.04 with the name of your wireless hardware, there might be other people with your issue and maybe even fixes.

the wifi stays connected fine as long as i'm using the laptop, the problem is when i try to leave the laptop on overnight to download and it goes into suspended mode.

vexorian
August 5th, 2012, 06:19 PM
Yes, that's the thing with hardware support issues, they can easily cause erratic behavior like that.

What is the name of your wi-fi card?

mick_86
August 5th, 2012, 06:27 PM
Yes, that's the thing with hardware support issues, they can easily cause erratic behavior like that.

What is the name of your wi-fi card?

i have a help thread here http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=12152044#post12152044

thatguruguy
August 5th, 2012, 06:37 PM
the wifi stays connected fine as long as i'm using the laptop, the problem is when i try to leave the laptop on overnight to download and it goes into suspended mode.

Suspend is a low power mode, and it shuts off your wifi connection. That's not a bug, it's a feature. If you don't want your wifi to shut off, don't suspend your laptop.

Dylan1473
August 5th, 2012, 06:39 PM
The issue is that his wifi doesn't turn back on afterward. Though yes, if you want to download overnight you'll have to disable suspend. Shut the screen off or something to save power.

mick_86
August 5th, 2012, 06:53 PM
Suspend is a low power mode, and it shuts off your wifi connection. That's not a bug, it's a feature. If you don't want your wifi to shut off, don't suspend your laptop.

The issue is that his wifi doesn't turn back on afterward. Though yes, if you want to download overnight you'll have to disable suspend. Shut the screen off or something to save power.

this is the options i have selected under my power preferences:

http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/3506/screenshotfrom201208051.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/193/screenshotfrom201208051.png/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

i have also tried locking the screen when i leave it but this also results in the wifi disconnecting.

Dylan1473
August 5th, 2012, 06:58 PM
You might find this thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1974398) interesting, though I don't know that it actually offers any sort of solution. I seem to recall using a desktop environment that required me to disable suspend in multiple places but I'm not sure if it was Unity and even if it was I don't have it installed to check.

mick_86
August 5th, 2012, 07:02 PM
You might find this thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1974398) interesting, though I don't know that it actually offers any sort of solution. I seem to recall using a desktop environment that required me to disable suspend in multiple places but I'm not sure if it was Unity and even if it was I don't have it installed to check.

thanks had a look, and turned lock off. sure i tried this before though and still getting the same problem.

Dylan1473
August 5th, 2012, 07:04 PM
Well, I don't think removing lock will actually stop it from suspending. I was just pointing out other people seem to have the same problem and I'm not sure what, if anything, can be done short of outright abandoning Unity which hardly seems like an ideal solution.

mick_86
August 5th, 2012, 07:07 PM
Well, I don't think removing lock will actually stop it from suspending. I was just pointing out other people seem to have the same problem and I'm not sure what, if anything, can be done.

thanks for trying anyway, appreciated.