PDA

View Full Version : I wish Forum users would put info in there setting.

irv
August 5th, 2012, 02:55 PM
It would make it much easier to help people if they would just fill out the information in their user control panel. Like what Ubuntu disto they are using and some information about their system.
Don't you agree?

philinux
August 5th, 2012, 03:22 PM
It would make it much easier to help people if they would just fill out the information in their user control panel. Like what Ubuntu disto they are using and some information about their system.
Don't you agree?

They can also put in the post of the thread they start.

Primefalcon
August 5th, 2012, 03:25 PM
Don't you agree?
A lot of people value privacy to the extreme, I have had a couple instances even in IRC where I check what irc clients people are using (VERSION <USERNAME>) and they flip out cussing at me.. I mean full out swearing at me

PaulW2U
August 5th, 2012, 03:31 PM
It would make it much easier to help people if they would just fill out the information in their user control panel.

That option is not available to those with less than 50 beans and doesn't cater for those who run multiple installations anyway.

Quite a few people don't ever update that information when they upgrade so it can't really be relied upon.

sffvba[e0rt
August 5th, 2012, 03:35 PM
I think the above replies sums it up nicely for me too.

stalkingwolf
August 5th, 2012, 03:46 PM
i use 2 or 3 different distros on 5 -6 different machines so when i ask a support question i put the distro information and specs in that post.
at one time i had 5 distros on this computer.

irv
August 5th, 2012, 08:10 PM
I have three different Ubuntu Linux distros, but I have my main one, (My everyday Ubuntu 12.04 with Unity listed in my profile). If I have questions on any of the others I will specify in my post. This way I don't need to add to much information to my post. If you look to the left you can see I am using Ubuntu 12.04.
Now when I upgrade I make the changes to this information.

How many times have you went to answer a post, but have to ask what they are using? Lets face it there are many different distros and desktops in Ubuntu (deb based) Linux distros out here.

All I am saying is it would be nice to have some of this information up front.

3Miro
August 5th, 2012, 08:34 PM
All I am saying is it would be nice to have some of this information up front.

Absolutely, but the signature is not the answer. If someone asks a question about 11.10 and get an answer, then upgrade to 12.04, it would be confusing for someone to go back to the old thread and think it is related to 12.04.

There can be a section with specs for one to fill when starting a thread in the help sub-forums, but the signature is not the solution.

malspa
August 5th, 2012, 08:42 PM
I agree with 3Miro, putting it in the signature isn't really the answer.

As irv says, it would be nice to have the info up front; people should put the info in the post where they ask the question, as philinux said.

"It would be nice."

But, we all know that folks will continue to have to ask. That's how it goes, I guess.

irv
August 5th, 2012, 09:10 PM
Absolutely, but the signature is not the answer. If someone asks a question about 11.10 and get an answer, then upgrade to 12.04, it would be confusing for someone to go back to the old thread and think it is related to 12.04.

There can be a section with specs for one to fill when starting a thread in the help sub-forums, but the signature is not the solution.

Just for the record, you are right. If you change your signature or Ubuntu Distro information it will automatically change all your posts, and it would get confusing.

Shadius
August 5th, 2012, 09:19 PM
I like the idea of filling out a "spec form" when starting a thread in the sub-forums though. It would help to reduce asking, "What're your specs?" Then again, people just might not fill out that information again....and we're back to where we started. :(

jnedenrod
August 6th, 2012, 12:31 AM
I just went to the control panel to edit my signature so that all my OS and system specs would be there for every post. I understand it's good to keep people from spamming or putting up malicious links, but now I feel like I should click around and just start making posts on random boards just to get things going--even though I just started using Ubuntu. It seems counter-intuitive to do it this way.

jnedenrod
August 6th, 2012, 12:32 AM
It can't be that difficult to make a questionnaire for users to input their OS and system specs if they choose to put it in their signature right away, and it'd be easy to highlight the sig in red to warn other users of a profile that is under 50 posts. That way people would know not to click any links. They could have people review new sigs, and if they can't get enough people, they could have experienced and trusted users to approve/deny a few every day.

And yes, I just chose to split my response into two posts.