PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] new installation memory requirements

saud
August 5th, 2012, 02:00 AM
I installed all Debian, Ubuntu and Centos and Debian was the lowest in memory after new installation at 33 MB and Ubuntu was around 100 MB, Why it is that, I just want a basic server without any other things running on the server.

Ubun2to
August 5th, 2012, 03:04 PM
Well, each distro has different background processes running and different features. Ubuntu has Unity, which drives up requirements, but you also have things like KDE and Cinnamon, which can do the same.

Cheesemill
August 5th, 2012, 06:42 PM
If you use the Alternate Install CD and select 'Install a Command Line System' from the first screen (by hitting F4) you end up with a small installation. I've just done this on a VM and end up with the following figures:

Used RAM: 22MB
Used HD: 901MB
# of Packages: 324

saud
August 6th, 2012, 11:02 PM
Where I can find the alternate install CD?

Cheesemill
August 6th, 2012, 11:06 PM
http://releases.ubuntu.com/precise/

mastablasta
August 7th, 2012, 07:29 AM
another option is minimal install iso.

server in Ubuntu takes more ram probabyl because it has more features than Debian already included.

Cheesemill
August 7th, 2012, 08:08 AM
another option is minimal install iso.

I did some tests a while back with the alternate and mini CD's, you actually end up with a smaller system with less packages installed when doing a CLI install from the alternate CD.

saud
August 7th, 2012, 08:33 AM
Thats what I wanted to download, Minimal CD but could not find it. I just wanted a basic server installation.

mastablasta
August 7th, 2012, 10:30 AM
it popped out as first result in google to me... but anyway if anyone else is looking for it: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/MinimalCD/

Cheesemill
August 7th, 2012, 07:24 PM
I've been doing a bit more research into this issue for a project at work so thought I'd post my results here if anyone else was interested.

I've just installed Ubuntu using a variety of methods using VirtualBox. All VM's had identical specs, only the boot media and installation options (chosen by hitting F4 on the installation screen) were different, no extras were chosen if the taskselect screen was offered. Results were gathered upon second boot using the following 3 commands:

free -m
df -h
dpkg --get-selections | wc -l

VM Specifications
OS - Ubuntu 12.04 i386
RAM - 512MB
CPU - 1 x Virtual CPU
HD - 8GB (Default options, no LVM, 8053MB ext4 root partition, 535MB swap)

Mini CD - Command-line install option.
Used RAM - 23MB
Used HD - 1.1GB
# of packages - 373

Alternate CD - Install a command-line system option.
Used RAM - 22MB
Used HD - 901MB
# of packages - 324

Server CD - Default installation option.
Used RAM - 24MB
Used HD - 889MB
# of packages - 367

Server CD - Install a minimal system option.
Used RAM - 22MB
Used HD - 801MB
# of packages - 321

Server CD - Install a minimal virtual machine option.
Used RAM - 16MB
Used HD - 622MB
# of packages - 203

I installed all Debian, Ubuntu and Centos and Debian was the lowest in memory after new installation at 33 MB and Ubuntu was around 100 MBAfter my above results I have absolutely no idea how you ended up with 100MB used RAM on a fresh server installation.

How did you install and what commands did you use to check your memory usage?