PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Customization Curiosity

zcarth
August 5th, 2012, 12:50 AM
After switching to Ubuntu, earlier this afternoon (Another issue with Win7, it would have been my third reset, so I just said "Screw it"), I noticed (and was quite excited by) the workspace feature.

So now I'm trying to customize it a bit. Is there a way for me to-
1. Configure my trackpad to change workspaces while my USB mouse manipulates my cursor, but go back to being a normal trackpad when I remove the USB mouse?
2. Configure my trackpad AND mouse settings so I can press {key}+mouse movements to change workspaces?

Also, say I want one BIG desktop, and each workspace to be just that fraction of it?

egeezer
August 5th, 2012, 01:38 AM
Workspaces are individual virtual desktops, so when several are shown at once there is no way to capture the mouse cursor or keyboard input to a single one. Think of them as four distros running in four separate VirtualBox instances.

Version Dependency
August 5th, 2012, 02:03 AM
The 4 workspaces are each a desktop of their own. To switch between them quickly, you use CTR + ALT + ARROW KEY. They are in a 2X2 grid...so if you are on the first desktop (top-left) and want to go to the second desktop (top-right) hit CTR + ALT +RIGHT ARROW KEY. To go from that desktop to the one right under it, hit CTRL + ALT + DOWN ARROW.

To learn all the keyboard shortcuts for the Unity desktop, hold the SUPER key.