PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] change Unity 2d to 3d

NM5TF
August 4th, 2012, 10:34 PM
When I 1st installed 12.04LTS I was able to change the launcher icons size via the Apperance app....then I installed the drivers for my Nvidia graphics card ( Nvidia C61 [GeForce 6150se nForce 430] (rev a2)...after that it now states the Unity is in 2d mode & won't let me change the icon size any more, and the icon slider in Appearance is now missing...

and now I find there is a problem with the Nvidia cards & a bug report has been filed....

is there any way to recover from this, short of a fresh install??

I have already tried unity--reset with no luck & get an error message from Compiz saying this should never happen...

HELP

Tommy

Frogs Hair
August 4th, 2012, 11:38 PM
When you login and choose Ubuntu that is 3D. If the driver is the problem got additional drivers and remove it. I have seen problems reported from users with older Nvidia 6 series graphics cards before.

NM5TF
August 5th, 2012, 12:07 AM
When you login and choose Ubuntu that is 3D. If the driver is the problem got additional drivers and remove it. I have seen problems reported from users with older Nvidia 6 series graphics cards before.

thanx for the reply & nice try but doesn't work...

when I log out the only thing I see on the log in screen is my name & password...I have it set for auto log in as I'm the only user on this machine...maybe if I disable auto log in I will get a choice???

if I log in as guest then it works as 3D, so it's something unique to
my sys log in....

I disabled the Nvidia drivers in the Additional drivers app, but something is still telling the OS that they are installed....is there any way to "purge" the drivers or config files from a terminal???

Tommy

NM5TF
August 5th, 2012, 12:20 AM
I disabled the auto log in, but still same problem...no choice of 2D or 3D at log in....guess I will have to live with it for now or until someone tells me how to "purge" the Nvidia drivers from the sys...

the guest session works as expected with full 3D support...

Tommy

113 views but no help....guess I will mark this as solved even tho it's not really...don't see any way to close it in thread tools