PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 12.04/unity problem mounting disk drives on another computer

RedRat
August 4th, 2012, 06:00 PM
I don't know if this is 12.04 or unity. In the past on both 8,04 and 10,04, I was able to mount an NTFS hard drive (actually a Seagate FreeAgent drive attached to my Windows XP machine via a USB port). This provided a convenient way to store files I downloaded on my Ubuntu machine. Now in 12.04, I do not seem to be able to do this--at least get easy access to that FreeAgent drive. I can "mount" the drive, sort of. But in order to save a file to that drive, I must go to my home folder, press crtl-H, then drop down to ".gvfs" then I see the FreeAgent drive and go to the appropriate folder and save the file. This is really annoying and quite bothersome.

At least in 10.04 Gnome, I was able to create a reference to the mounted drive on the desktop. I do not seem able to do that in Unity. In 8.04, I was able to use an application called smb4K and mount the FreeAgent drive and it worked in all applications. Currently, even when mounted, I do not see FreeAgent unless I go through all that fooling I described above.

Is there a solution to this???

Morbius1
August 4th, 2012, 07:44 PM
Open a terminal and type:

nautilus $HOME/.gvfsWhen nautilus opens up to the .gvfs folder immediately bookmark it: Bookmarks > Add Bookmark

The .gvfs folder will appear on the left side panel of nautilus and all your other applications. You can rename the bookmark from .gvfs to something like Lan or whatever.

RedRat
August 4th, 2012, 09:11 PM
Open a terminal and type:

nautilus $HOME/.gvfsWhen nautilus opens up to the .gvfs folder immediately bookmark it: Bookmarks > Add Bookmark

The .gvfs folder will appear on the left side panel of nautilus and all your other applications. You can rename the bookmark from .gvfs to something like Lan or whatever.
OK thanks, this is a good work-around. It seems to have worked.

However, is there any explanation why "Network" is not showing up in Nautilus? In past Gnome versions, under "Places" the "Network" showed up. In point of fact, when I first installed 12.04, Network was in Nautilus. Some how or other, it has disappeared yesterday????

Morbius1
August 4th, 2012, 09:58 PM
That one I cannot answer - unless somehow the following package is messed up or was removed:

gvfs-backends

RedRat
August 4th, 2012, 10:04 PM
That one I cannot answer - unless somehow the following package is messed up or was removed:

gvfs-backends

Hmm. Thanks, I checked and it is installed, at least the package manager says that it is. I am somewhat leery of uninstalling it and then reinstalling it. In the old 8.04 system you could reinstall the package or repair it.