PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Need help with likely easy GNOME question

rtierney
August 4th, 2012, 05:07 PM
Hey guys.
I just got rid of Unity, and installed gnome-shell... just can't stand Unity anymore.

However, when I open anything from the "Places" menu, it opens quick, but also keeps the extra bar saying "Opening blahblah..." for quite some time, even after it's opened.
It's just kind of annoying really, and was wondering if anyone could help out with this, or know a solution.

Here's a screenshot of what I'm talking about, you can see it at the bottom.
http://i48.tinypic.com/mn0mc2.jpg

Ubuntu 12.04 64-bit
Using gnome-shell with Gnome Classic (No Effects)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
:D

kansasnoob
August 4th, 2012, 06:27 PM
Well the "opening" dialog is kind of like having the mouse cursor turn from a pointer into a swirling progress thingy. It just doesn't stop until the process is truly complete.

That said I'm curious how you did this?

Procedures matter a lot. If you installed the meta-package 'gnome' or 'gnome-desktop-environment' you will have actually installed a somewhat older version of gnome 3, but with the Ubuntu versions of most "libs".

markbl
August 5th, 2012, 12:02 AM
FYI, note that Gnome shell is the Gnome 3 UI available when you log in with "GNOME" from the login session menu. You are logging in with Gnome Classic which has nothing to do with Gnome shell. It is a UI which emulates the older Gnome 2.

You complaint is about startup notification (http://developer.gnome.org/integration-guide/stable/startup-notification.html.en). That's how it is supposed to work. I've noticed that Nautilus starts slowly the very first time you launch it in a gnome session on ubuntu. Probably an interaction between ubuntu/gnome but really it's a very minor problem.

rtierney
August 6th, 2012, 04:03 PM
So how can I fix it then?
I mean, it's just really annoying opening docs or something, and then that is left for at least a full minute or two.

cmcanulty
August 6th, 2012, 05:30 PM
same here seems recently to stay up a long time

rtierney
August 6th, 2012, 07:22 PM
Glad I'm not the only one on this.
If anyone has a solution, it'd be greatly appreciated.

rtierney
August 18th, 2012, 04:06 AM
Does anyone have a solution for this?
:/