PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] New GUI. Where is Terminal?

Orbity
August 4th, 2012, 06:53 AM
I stopped using Ubuntu back in the 10.XX days. Just install 12.XX and I must say that it is terrible interface wise. I hope I can use some other UI. Where do I find terminal please? Thank you

codemaniac
August 4th, 2012, 06:57 AM
I stopped using Ubuntu back in the 10.XX days. Just install 12.XX and I must say that it is terrible interface wise. I hope I can use some other UI. Where do I find terminal please? Thank you

CTRL + ATL +T

Please . :)

mindaa
August 4th, 2012, 06:59 AM
Or you can press the Super key (Windows Key) and start typing terminal. It will pop up in the list. You should be able to find any program you are looking for that way.

Orbity
August 4th, 2012, 07:03 AM
Thank you both. Now to rid this system of that horrible UI.

neodirtchief
August 4th, 2012, 07:09 AM
Be sure to install another before removing that one or you may end up with just the command line.

QIII
August 4th, 2012, 07:11 AM
CTRL + ATL +T
Or you can press the Super key (Windows Key) and start typing terminal. Or, by way of demonstrating that there is more than one way to skin a cat:

Go to the top of the launcher on the left, click on the home button (the one with the Ubuntu symbol and says "Dash Home" when you hover on it) and type "terminal".

And it's not such a bad interface. "Radically different" is accurate. New stuff takes time to get used to.

And yes, you can use different DEs. I generally use Xubuntu.

Orbity
August 4th, 2012, 07:36 AM
And yes, you can use different DEs. I generally use Xubuntu.

Funnily enough I'm downloading Xubuntu as I type this. :)

yuvraj23
August 4th, 2012, 07:42 AM
Open terminal and Enter this command

sudo apt-get install kde-standard

bijoalex
August 4th, 2012, 08:56 AM
Even I didn't like the going to the "Dash Home" approach given there are so many times one has to get to terminal to get things done. Was kind of used to menu driven navigation in pre-Unity days.

Getting a shortcut to the launcher is an option.

However, liked the shortcut Ctrl+Alt+T. That will be my way of getting to the terminal here onwards.

New user interface always has its toll.

jerome1232
August 4th, 2012, 09:05 AM
You have a launcher bar for a reason, put all of your frequently accessed applications on it. Learn unities keyboard shortcuts (hold down the windows key for a nice list of them)

I find menu driven UI's annoying now, although I haven't gotten around to experimenting with the HUD interface yet.

3rdalbum
August 4th, 2012, 10:49 AM
I stopped using Ubuntu back in the 10.XX days. Just install 12.XX and I must say that it is terrible interface wise.

Well no, it's not "terrible interface-wise". It's merely different to what you're used to.

I find Unity superior to any other desktop environment I've used before, from its baked-in extensible search capabilities to its careful use of screen real estate, to its good use of the keyboard.

It does take a little while to get used to, especially if you were expecting a Gnome 2 desktop to appear. But I'd suggest you give Unity an honest try - a week - before moving away to another desktop. If you just move away because it's different, then you'll probably be doing yourself a great disservice as a lot of people have persisted with Unity and now love it to bits.

thek3nger
August 4th, 2012, 04:13 PM
Ok, you have the right to use the DE that you like. But honestly these comments are starting to annoy me...

Scott Harrison
August 5th, 2012, 03:15 AM
I wonder what the figures are for people running 12.04 that have installed an older GUI.

Personally, I love the Unity interface, it's simple and works for me. It took a little while to get used to but now I'd rather it over anything else.