PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Touch Script:Multiple Files in Multiple Folders

smackheid
August 3rd, 2012, 06:55 PM
Hi all,

Here's a challenge...

I need to update the modified date/time for different logfiles with the same name, with different dates/times.

The logfile is dumped into a FTP box every 30 mins and has the same name (BlockedNode.csv), so overwrites the previous one. Said files have been collected and put in a directory of it's own(File1, File2 etc), to preserve the filename for the past 2 weeks (672 files in total).

Each file in it's folder has then placed into a folder for the day (day1, day2 etc). So, each Day folder (eg Day1) has 48 subfolders, each containing the single logfile of the same name.

The files have been manipulated and it's last modified date lost. I want to read the contents of the file read into a database, where the last modified date will serve as a reference point for the log entry and I need the last modified date to reflect the actual date/time of when the even was captured.

Can anyone think of a way of writing a script that will go into the folder (logfile) then into the subfolder (DayX) then into individual folder (File1) and update the modified timestamp of file BlockedNode.csv with say 25072012 0000 then move to folder (File2) and update the file BlockedNodes.csv with 25072012 0030, for all 48 files that day (0000-2330) and then move to the next day folder and repeat, only with the next day's date?

Thanks in advance
SmackHeid

idoitprone
August 3rd, 2012, 07:07 PM
this sounds too intelligent for me and very confusing read

why dont you make name of the folder the date it was created and symlink the folder name to day1, day2, or whatever?

cortman
August 3rd, 2012, 07:18 PM
Ouch. Too complicated.

Sounds to me like a simple renaming script would be a better idea than trying to separate them into folder after folder. Something that would grab the timestamp info and append it to the backup file's name. Run it with cron every ten minutes or so.

smackheid
August 3rd, 2012, 07:21 PM
Good shout, but I should mention that the directory structure and their contents have already been created and cannot be changed without excessive manual intervention.

Any other thoughtss?

cortman
August 3rd, 2012, 07:24 PM
Good shout, but I should mention that the directory structure and their contents have already been created and cannot be changed without excessive manual intervention.

Any other thoughtss?

You could still run a script to rename each file with the timestamp- just be sure that script gets it before it gets sorted.

steeldriver
August 3rd, 2012, 07:29 PM
These things are easier if you specify them EXACTLY - for example are the directories really called Day1, Day2 etc. or are they actual date strings e.g. 2012-07-27 and so on? Can you provide a (truncated) output from ls -R at the top level of the log directory tree?

smackheid
August 3rd, 2012, 07:32 PM
Absolutely, but I can't figure out the logic, being a noob and all.

How would I give a script the ability to change a file, knowing to update the time by a factor of 30 mins and add 1 to the date for each day's files?

smackheid
August 3rd, 2012, 07:40 PM
steeldriver: the folders really are called day and file. Not at terminal just now, but here's an example...

Logfiles/Day1/File1/BlockedNode.csv.

Day1..14
File1..48

steeldriver
August 3rd, 2012, 08:24 PM
OK so I had a quick play,

for i in {1..2}; do for j in {1..2}; do echo $(date --date="2012-07-25 + $j days") File$i/Day$j/BlockedNodes.csv; done; done
Thu Jul 26 00:00:00 EDT 2012 File1/Day1/BlockedNodes.csv
Fri Jul 27 00:00:00 EDT 2012 File1/Day2/BlockedNodes.csv
Thu Jul 26 00:00:00 EDT 2012 File2/Day1/BlockedNodes.csv
Fri Jul 27 00:00:00 EDT 2012 File2/Day2/BlockedNodes.csv

echos the correct dates + filenames, so I would think that

for i in {1..48}; do for j in {1..14}; do touch -d "$(date --date="2012-07-25 + $((j-1)) days")" File$i/Day$j/BlockedNodes.csv; done; done
*ought* to work

see if you can figure it out :)

smackheid
August 5th, 2012, 07:49 PM
Hi Steeldriver,

Thank you very much for your help. I appreciate it to no end.

Unfortunately though, I can't seem to figure out how to change the time by 30 minute increments.

Here is what I've come up with so far:

$ for i in {1..14}; do for j in {1..48}; do $((h=(j-1)/2,m=(j-1)%2*30)); date +%Y%m%d%H%M -d "2012-07-24 + $i day $h:$m"; Day$i/File$j/BlockedNodes.csv; done; done

Any clues?

Thanks again
Smackheid

steeldriver
August 5th, 2012, 09:10 PM
why not just convert the whole thing into minutes?

#!/bin/bash

for i in {1..14}; do
for j in {1..48}; do
mins=$((60*24*(i-1) + 30*(j-1)))
touch -d "$(date -d "2012-07-25 + $mins minutes")" ./Day$i/File$j/BlockedNodes.csv"
done
done

steeldriver
August 5th, 2012, 11:26 PM
well it's a wet afternoon and the dog's asleep so here's another (possibly more elegant) way you might do it, which doesn't rely on iterating over a fixed number of files / dirs

#!/bin/bash

while read -r -d $'\0' file; do

# extract the day index and 30-min time interval from the filename
daynum=$(echo "$file" | sed -rn 's/(^.*Day)([0-9]+)(.*$)/\2/p')
filenum=$(echo "$file" | sed -rn 's/(^.*File)([0-9]+)(.*$)/\2/p')

# check we have valid day and time digits
if [[ "$daynum" =~ [0-9]+ && "$filenum" =~ [0-9]+ ]]; then
# calculate the total time offset in minutes
mins=$((60*24*(daynum-1) + 30*(filenum-1)))
# perform the touch
echo "touching $file => $(date --date="2012-07-25 + $mins minutes")"
touch -d "$(date --date="2012-07-25 + $mins minutes")" $file
else
# report any undateable matching files
echo "ERROR : $file : file undateable" 1>&2
fi

done < <(find . -name 'BlockedNodes.csv' -print0)

smackheid
August 7th, 2012, 10:11 AM
well it's a wet afternoon and the dog's asleep so here's another (possibly more elegant) way you might do it, which doesn't rely on iterating over a fixed number of files / dirs

#!/bin/bash

while read -r -d $'\0' file; do

daynum=$(echo "$file" | sed -rn 's/(^.*Day)([0-9]+)(.*$)/\2/p')
filenum=$(echo "$file" | sed -rn 's/(^.*File)([0-9]+)(.*$)/\2/p')

# check we have valid day and time digits
if [[ "$daynum" =~ [0-9]+ && "$filenum" =~ [0-9]+ ]]; then
# calculate the total time offset in minutes
mins=$((60*24*(daynum-1) + 30*(filenum-1)))
# perform the touch
echo "touching $file => $(date --date="2012-07-25 + $mins minutes")"
touch -d "$(date --date="2012-07-25 + $mins minutes")" $file
else
# report any undateable matching files
echo "ERROR : $file : file undateable" 1>&2
fi

done < <(find . -name 'BlockedNodes.csv' -print0)

Steeldriver, you are a god amongst men. Thank you very much for your help with this. Words fail me. I wish I had your abilities.

Thanks to everyone else who contributed, I love how the Linux community are so willing and ready to help out.

Thanks and regards
Smackheid

steeldriver
August 7th, 2012, 11:23 AM
Happy to help - I try to give back what I've learned on here plus bits + bobs of programming I've picked up over the years. TBH I don't really understand all the stuff with 'find' and 'read' so I hope I've done it right - the idea was to make it safe for situations like filenames with spaces and so on (overkill for your application - but a good habit to get into).

The clever part imo is how (at least the GNU version of) 'date' seems to be able to handle almost any human readable time string you throw at it and somehow figure out what you mean... I was surprised about that :)

Regards

EDIT: in hindsight don't know why I suggested the ugly sed expressions to extract the day and file numbers - you might want to do something like this instead:

tmp=$(echo "$file" | grep -Eo 'Day[0-9]+'); daynum=${tmp##Day}
tmp=$(echo "$file" | grep -Eo 'File[0-9]+'); filenum=${tmp##File} or even (if you are sure about the order of the Day and File directory in the path)

read -d'\n' daynum filenum < <(echo "$file" | grep -Eo '(Day|File)[0-9]+' | grep -Eo '[0-9]+')