PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] XFCE - Bottom Panel + XFCE Themes

xfcegnome
August 3rd, 2012, 05:11 PM
Hi everyone. I'm new to Linux and new on this forum :).

I have Xubuntu 12.04, i was experimenting around and I accidently deleted the bottom panel (or is it a launcher). Now I want it back.

Does anyone know how to bring back the bottom panel. I have searched and searched but nothing helps. Thank you!

Also, is there an easier way to download and install themes to Xubuntu? I have seen photos of beautiful xfce-looks but have not been able too make it look anything near that.

For example like this one

http://mmesantos1.deviantart.com/art/Grey-Mountain-Horizon-317295402?q=boost%3Apopular%20xubuntu%2012.04&qo=4

Thanks in advance and sorry for my english. :).

LewisTM
August 3rd, 2012, 08:43 PM
The only way to get that panel back would be to wipe you panel config so that everything is reset to factory defaults.

First logout and switch to a virtual terminal (Ctrl-Alt-F1).
Login and delete your panel config directory and config file

rm -rf ~/.config/xfce4/panel
rm ~/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-panel.xml
The switch back to the login manager (Ctrl-Alt-F7) and log back in.
You can also delete these files graphically if you have another DE installed, as long as you are not logged into Xfce.

Cheers!

black veils
August 3rd, 2012, 10:00 PM
you are in the right place to get the themes http://xfce-look.org/index.php?xcontentmode=15x100x420

themes >> xfce = window decorations

for panel themes/backgrounds http://xfce-look.org/usermanager/search.php?username=blackveils&action=contents

as for the panel/launcher, you can either do the config reset, or create a new bottom panel/launcher. the panels are all the same thing, its just a case of tweaking it into a launcher.

>> right-click top panel
>> panel
>> panel preferences
>> where it says panel 1, there is a plus sign, click it to add a new panel
>> drag it to the bottom of the screen by grabbing the handle, and slide along until it clicks to the center
>> continue using the panel preferences, go to items tab
>> click the plus sign to add a new item
>> highlight launcher, click add button for howevere many you want, then close
>> highlight a launcher in the items tab list, click the settings icon at the bottom
>> here you will add the desired app to launch, click the plus sign
>> type your app name or scroll through the list, click add
>> go to the advanced tab to change any other settings like tooltips
>> click close, it will now show on the panel, do the same with the other launcher items listed.

for general panel settings, go to the display and appearance tabs. you can switch between panels at the top drop-down box for configuring each using those tabs.

Toz
August 4th, 2012, 03:50 AM
themes >> xfce = window decorations

To clarify, themes in Xfce are composed of two parts:

1. GTK2/3 skins = Settings Manager -> Appearance (everything inside the window borders and title bar)
2. Xfwm skins = Settings Manager -> Window Manager (window borders, window title bar, maximize/minimize/close buttons, ...)

If the theme you download comes with both gtk2/3 and xfwm directories, you'll need to set it in both locations. Of course, you could mix and match...