PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Help ! My downloads folder is gone ! [Ubuntu 11.10]

Hantan
August 3rd, 2012, 11:36 AM
Hey guys,
Yesterday after i booted up, i suddenly got a dialog saying 'you have logged in in a new language' and asked me whether i should rename /home/ananth to /home/ananth/Downloads. I said keep old names, but when i checked there's no Downloads folder ! In cairo dock, where i had the shortcut to downloads, now shows 'unmounted'. Can someone please let me know how i can recover it back?

Thanks,
Ananth.

Grenage
August 3rd, 2012, 11:44 AM
If the Downloads directory is just a directory (and not a link), can you not simply recreate the directory within Nautilus? I am guessing that you're after the old contents?

ajgreeny
August 3rd, 2012, 11:55 AM
If you know the name of some of the files that are now missing(?) you can possibly find where that folder has gone with the find or locate commands.

I find the locate command easier to use as it requires much less detailed syntax, but first update your filesystem database with
sudo updatedbthen run
locate -i <filename>using your hopefully remembered filename, which may give you some clue what is going on.

Hantan
August 3rd, 2012, 11:57 AM
Yes, i'm after the old contents which have been obliterated ! There's no link, no folder. I had atleast 2 gigs of data inside it :( I checked the space occupied, it shows the same as before. So there was no accidental deletion.

Hantan
August 3rd, 2012, 12:16 PM
I did updatedb and then did a locate on a file that should have been there in the Downloads folder, but the search turned up empty.