PDA

View Full Version : PATH not visible from within makefile?

eotakos
August 3rd, 2012, 10:15 AM
Hello everyone,

Until recently I have been counting on eclipse to produce my makefiles, and I had no complain about it. But the time has come that I switched to making my own, since some peculiarities of compiling cuda code, render the automated makefiles wanting.

The problem that I encounter is that when the compiling command is executed via the make command, the PATH is not visible, and I get

g++: Command not found
or

nvcc: Command not found

whereas, if I copy-paste the command that was just executed, and I execute it directly from the shell, it executes with no problems.

any Ideas?

thanks for any answers in advance

dwhitney67
August 3rd, 2012, 10:49 AM
Create a Makefile with the following; then run 'make'. Please report what, if anything, is the result:

foo:
@ echo $(PATH)

Now, as for 'g++', typically you should not have to explicitly state it within the Makefile. You should rely on $(CXX) instead. For example:

APPNAME = myprog
SRCS = $(wildcard *.cpp)
OBJS = $(SRCS:.cpp=.o)
CXXFLAGS = -Wall -std=c++0x

$(APPNAME): $(OBJS)
$(CXX) $^ -o $@

eotakos
August 3rd, 2012, 11:28 AM
Hello again, and thank you for your prompt reply.I was putting together a very thorough response, when I saw my mistake.

seems that... I wasn't thinking at all , when I made a variable called PATH... (yes... I know)
evidently that one overrided the environment variable and nothing was working.

Sorry for taking your time. Have a nice day

p.s. the second piece of code you enclosed is way out of my league... could you direct me to some tutorial webpage? maybe a good guide? thanks again

dwhitney67
August 3rd, 2012, 12:04 PM
Here's a guide: http://www.gnu.org/software/make/manual/make.html