PDA

View Full Version : Cold feet

Kenneth David
August 2nd, 2012, 11:32 PM
Ok I was ready to hit install and I got a message that it didn't see an operating system (windows) so i restarted the procedure and it does not show any current partitions. I'm afraid if i proceed with partitioning it will overwrite my os or data. Is that a valid concern?
I should state that i replaced the the hd with an ssd and restored from the discs I made.
any help would be appreciated.
O I also downloaded GAG for a boot manager. Is that a good choice?

cybergalvez
August 3rd, 2012, 12:18 AM
Ok I was ready to hit install and I got a message that it didn't see an operating system (windows) so i restarted the procedure and it does not show any current partitions. I'm afraid if i proceed with partitioning it will overwrite my os or data. Is that a valid concern?
I should state that i replaced the the hd with an ssd and restored from the discs I made.
any help would be appreciated.
O I also downloaded GAG for a boot manager. Is that a good choice?

First things first, boot with a live disk / usb and see if you can see your old partitions / data. if you can back it up. Once you've backed it up feel free to partition or what ever you need to get it up and running agian

Kenneth David
August 3rd, 2012, 12:37 AM
First things first, boot with a live disk / usb and see if you can see your old partitions / data. if you can back it up. Once you've backed it up feel free to partition or what ever you need to get it up and running agian

I have everything backed up I just don't want to have to reinstall windows all over again.

Kenneth David
August 4th, 2012, 12:49 AM
well i keep trying and it doesn't see my windows install so if i partition, it will erase my OS. is there any way around this?

cybergalvez
August 7th, 2012, 12:40 AM
well i keep trying and it doesn't see my windows install so if i partition, it will erase my OS. is there any way around this?

if you can't see the windows partition from the live disk with gparted then it looks liek its already gone