PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Will my new laptop work with Ubuntu 12.04?

nyamina
August 2nd, 2012, 10:17 PM
Hallo,

I'm a huge fan of Ubuntu: I've been using it exclusively for about six months now, after wanting to use it and using Wubi etc. for a little while before. My laptop is on it's way out, literally help together by sticky tape, so I'm looking at getting a new laptop and the only thing I want to make sure is: will the laptop I want work out of the box with Ubuntu, including the backlight controls etc. (which was the problem with my current one)? It was a huge effort to get this one to work , so I don't want the same experience.

I know it's kind of an impertinent question, but can anybody tell me if they think that this laptop (http://www.techdna.co.uk/hp-pavilion-g7-1357ea.html) will work out of the box with Ubuntu 12.04? I've Googled around and searched but can't find anything Linux-specific. I'm getting it from PC World here in the UK (I know, I know...), they said it would be fine, but I don't quite trust them...

Edit: it's just occurred to me, maybe I should have posted this in the beginner's forum?

gifford
August 3rd, 2012, 01:48 AM
From the specs listed on the site it should work fine.

2F4U
August 3rd, 2012, 06:51 AM
If you get a chance the best thing you can do is find a dealer that has that particular machine and ask if you are allowed to run a liveCD of Ubuntu on it. This gives you a good impression if all the hardware components are supported.

nyamina
August 3rd, 2012, 12:56 PM
Super, thanks :)