PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Want to use console directly

leosubhadeep
August 2nd, 2012, 06:56 PM
Hi.
Please consider the following:

I use Unity,KDE plasma, Gnome 3.x and xfce for different user accounts, OS is Ubuntu 12.04 64 bit LTS. From the login screen, I can choose the environment I want to use for every user. Now, my question is: Can I enter into a console (like konsole or other terminal) directly from the lightdm login screen manager? For example, username "subha-gnome" passsword: "[mypassword]" and environment console (we can do this partially on newer Windows versions by pressing F8 while booting or editing the MBR, but can't choose by default).

I hope I'm clear. Please enlighten me if I can do it and if yes, how.
Thanks in advance.

Subhadeep

drmrgd
August 2nd, 2012, 07:06 PM
From the login screen if you press Ctrl+Alt+F1 (all the way through F6), you can get a TTY console. If you want to return to the default TTY running X, you can switch to F7. Is that what you're looking for?

lukeiamyourfather
August 2nd, 2012, 07:59 PM
From the login screen if you press Ctrl+Alt+F1 (all the way through F6), you can get a TTY console. If you want to return to the default TTY running X, you can switch to F7. Is that what you're looking for?

To take it a step further you could prevent X and lightdm from ever starting so when booting it simply drops the user to a login prompt.

http://askubuntu.com/questions/131497/disable-automatic-unity-launching

leosubhadeep
August 3rd, 2012, 07:53 AM

Thanks a ton. It is EXACTLY what I was looking for. =D>

leosubhadeep
August 3rd, 2012, 07:58 AM
To take it a step further you could prevent X and lightdm from ever starting so when booting it simply drops the user to a login prompt.

http://askubuntu.com/questions/131497/disable-automatic-unity-launching

Thanks to you, too. The post on the link you provided worked. Now I am able to enter even root account, because some shell commands need root access.

I must say this forum is undoubtedly full of Linux (read Ubuntu) Maestros.

Subhadeep