PDA

View Full Version : Careful with what you post !!!!

richbarna
June 25th, 2006, 11:18 PM
I posted a message about disabling ipV6 to speed up internet connection.
Not my idea, I found it by searching through the forums.

Now I will be careful how I word my posts in future because I knew NOTHING about Digg (http://www.digg.com/linux_unix/Speed_up_the_Internet_in_Ubuntu)
or the people who use it, or the people that use the information on their bloggs.

Take a look in the linux "diggs" there are quite a few from "ubuntuforums".

Christmas
June 25th, 2006, 11:28 PM
Which internets? The firefox internet or the explorer internet?
...if we talk about "digging"... :lol:

briancurtin
June 26th, 2006, 02:20 AM
anything that you post anywhere on any site on the internet could end up somewhere.

this shouldnt be a cause for concern. if you didnt think that would happen before, then now you know how the internet works.

aysiu
June 26th, 2006, 02:22 AM
A lot of people on Digg are smartasses who like to think they're so clever because they can put other people down.

There were a lot of amusing, haughty responses to my KDE v. Gnome article when it got "Dugg" a few months ago (http://www.digg.com/linux_unix/KDE_vs._Gnome). Did those people write articles that were better? No.

For example, I had this P.S. in before the article was "Dugg":
P.S. Some people ask me why I have separate boots for KDE and Gnome. Theoretically you can have both desktop environments on one installation, but I've found that that clutters things up and sometimes (rarely) makes things malfunction. I just like my installations clean. Yet someone felt the need (just to be "superior," I guess) to say this:
Why does the author dual-boot between Ubuntu and Kubuntu? That's a fair bit of hard drive overhead when you could just copy startx to "startkde" and "startgnome", changing one line for each, and run GNOME or KDE as your mood swings. And then you would only have to exit your desktop environment to switch, not reboot. Incidentally, I no longer do the triple-boot, but there was nothing wrong with doing it when I did.

It's very easy to criticize others' efforts. It's very difficult to make better efforts yourself.

Jucato
June 26th, 2006, 03:00 AM
Another reason why I rarely, if not almost never, visit Digg or /.
Digg is like the next /., where informative articles turn into a venue for almost anything and everything. If I want to read news, I'd rather go directly to the source of the news. They do have comments there, too, but posters seem a bit more sensible.

Don't feel to bad richbarna. You're not the only one who has been dugg or /.ted

briguy
June 26th, 2006, 03:04 AM
I think digg is great (/. too) but treat the comments as entertainment value only ;)

richbarna
June 26th, 2006, 04:18 PM
Thanks guys, I feel better now.
I stated that the post I made was someone elses idea and that it worked for me.
If anybody else wanted to use it that's their choice.

I got peeved when I saw some of the comments from the Digg smart asses !!

But aysiu is right, it's easier to criticize than it is to produce something.

I'm real glad I haven't spent time on an article, only to be slagged off by the Digg muppets.