PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] What interesting things can you do using tracepath?

yeehi
August 2nd, 2012, 04:25 PM
I have run the command but am not good at interpreting the data that results.

When I try the tracepath to a www address I am interested in, I get timed out results and sometimes unknown host for the ip address. I can actually reach the website on the www, though. Is this normal?

Are the first 3 or 4 hops usually standard sort of things? What do these first few hops represent? I imagine that I will go through the same ip addresses for the first few hops to any internet address...

I can see that the first 5 hops on an international tracepath are all still with my I. This can't be good, I think. Surely, the ISP is able to get my traffic out of its own network more efficiently than that.

What is the usual/acceptable delay for a hop?

Is it easy to see where the real bottle necks are?

How many hops are usual for international traffic?

I can do whois searches for the ip addresses displayed along the route but is there something more fun to do than that?

Do you have any comments to make about the different WhoIs servers available? whois.apnic.net, whois.ripe.net, whois.arin.net

I get nice, useful information from the website dawhois.com if I put in the IP address manually. It gives me geo location details. Is there something like this I can automate instead of having to enter all the IP addresses one by one in a browser?

Can I get additional information similar to this with another command?

Is there a nice GUI for this sort of thing?

I asked a lot of things. If you would like to answer even one of them, I would be grateful. :)
I look forward to hearing what you have to say!

cariboo
August 5th, 2012, 04:07 AM
What you are seeing is normal, I live in western Canada, and I'm 13 hops away from this site. I'm using my Android powered tablet at the moment, so no terminal output, but here is a screenshot