PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Gnome Classic Issues on 12.04

johnnyenglish
August 2nd, 2012, 03:37 PM
Hello

I previously ran 11.04 using Gnome Classic, but recently performed a fresh install on my desktop of 12.04. I switched this from Unity to Gnome Classic but have noticed some differences which I haven't been able to resolve:

1. The panel at the top does not let me freely move/arrange launcher/icons. When I move them, they snap either to the left, center or right of the panel. In 11.04 I could arrange them freely and have bigger gaps between the launcher icons.

2. The graphical performance has has degraded. When minimizing or maximizing windows/applications, it is a sluggish and a bit gittery. I then activated the NVidia driver from the Additional Drivers option however this has not made any improvement. When running 11.04 I had the NVidia driver activated. I then tried logging in with Gnome Classic No Effects and this has resolved that issue, however now some things applications that use shadows or semi transparent background do not look very good.

I have looked around on Google for both of these issues but haven't been able tocome up with anything else to try. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you in advance.

AlbertJB
August 3rd, 2012, 02:33 PM
Hi, I also had problems with gnome classic with effects (compiz) and then start to work with classic no effects (metacity) and i'm pretty happy with it.

I recommend you to take a look at http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Clearlooks-Phenix?content=145210, it's a nice GTK theme which works well with gnome classic. There are plenty of other themes you can choose. Good luck!