PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Ubuntu 11.10 problem - Should I chose Xubuntu or Lubuntu?

adrianrn
August 2nd, 2012, 11:54 AM
Hy! I'm new to linux(I've tried it a few years ago for about a week) and I'm using Ubuntu 11.10 for 3 days. I can't watch any videos on youtube or similar sites I've tried fixing the flash player with different methods etc.
I'm not sure Ubuntu is for me(and my old pc).
I have a AMD Barton 2600+(runnging at 1.91), 512 RAM, Ati 9600 Radeon and 20 HDD. What should i use xubuntu or lubuntu? I want some medium linux not very savy but not very simple either and I want it to run smooth. Can anybody help please? Thanks

kc1di
August 2nd, 2012, 12:18 PM
Hy! I'm new to linux(I've tried it a few years ago for about a week) and I'm using Ubuntu 11.10 for 3 days. I can't watch any videos on youtube or similar sites I've tried fixing the flash player with different methods etc.
I have a AMD Barton 2600+(runnging at 1.91), 512 RAM, Ati 9600 Radeon and 20 HDD. What should i use xubuntu or lubuntu? I want some medium linux not very savy but not very simple either and I want it to run smooth. Can anybody help please? Thanks

Hi adrianrn,
Welcome to Linux and Ubuntu
I have a similar machine as yours here which runs both xubuntu and lubuntu quite well. also you may want to look at Bodhi it runs well on it also.
I currently am using xubuntu and it's working well I personally choose that one because of it's GTK base is very similar to gnome and I like xfce desktop for various reason. though lubuntu and bodhi run a little faster on that box.

I would try each one from live cd and see which one is the best fit for your machine and you.

you'll not be able to view utube out of the box with the live cd because ubuntu is not shipped with the flash enabled. but it's easy to add.
good luck and if you have any questions don't be afraid to ask here. we were all newbies to linux and Ubuntu at one point.
Cheer!

adrianrn
August 2nd, 2012, 12:32 PM
thanks for the fast reply! I think I'll give xubuntu a try. How should I do that? I don't know how to burn a cd in linux:( what steps i need to follow? Can I install xubuntu from usb drive?

kc1di
August 2nd, 2012, 01:39 PM
thanks for the fast reply! I think I'll give xubuntu a try. How should I do that? I don't know how to burn a cd in linux:( what steps i need to follow? Can I install xubuntu from usb drive?

here is a web page (http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop)in the right side panel there are instructions on how to make live cd's or usb sticks. follow the instruction and you should be in good shape.

Dawnbandit
August 2nd, 2012, 05:13 PM
I'd suggest Lubuntu.

adrianrn
August 2nd, 2012, 06:40 PM
just installed xubuntu and not very happy with the looks.. and the biggest problem is that i can't make the flash work. firefox or chromium not working but i have the plugin installed :( what should I do? I've been trying all day to make it work. and how do I install my video card drivers and other stuff? please help

Lemuriano
August 2nd, 2012, 06:46 PM
Did you install xubuntu-restricted-extras?

adrianrn
August 2nd, 2012, 06:51 PM
no I just installed xubuntu and then the adobe flash player.

Lemuriano
August 2nd, 2012, 06:53 PM
From the terminal try

sudo apt-get install xubuntu-restricted-extras

It will ask for your password. Just type and press enter.

adrianrn
August 2nd, 2012, 07:00 PM
done! what now should flash work now? because it doesn't

Lemuriano
August 2nd, 2012, 07:11 PM
See if you join the html5 in youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/html5

In the botton of the page click to leave the trail. This happen to me at one point and solve my problem.