PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] grub error HELP!!!

jamsebob
August 2nd, 2012, 11:30 AM
I have a dell inspiron 6400 and i accidently pressed the MediaDirect button when turning it on whilst not concentrating.

I previously had Ubuntu 12.04 installed after removing windows vista.

When I turn it on I now get just:
error: unknown filesystem.
grub rescue>

I tried using an ubuntu disk to live boot but when i click any of the boot options it returns to the same screen.

I using windows 7 on my other computer so I need to be able to do stuff on there if I'm making any boot discs etc.

NikTh
August 2nd, 2012, 12:43 PM
Hi and welcome to Ubuntu-forums!
for begin you can try this tool --> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair
follow first option and make a bootable CD .
If this not fix your problem , we will need the info from boot-repair.

Thanks

jamsebob
August 2nd, 2012, 01:21 PM
I did the following and did the recommended repair and the following now comes up when I try and boot ( and I don't use windows):

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
<Windows root>\system32\hal.dll
Please re-install a copy of the above file.

I think i could use a boot disk i just didnt mount the previous one properly

jamsebob
August 2nd, 2012, 01:32 PM
I then got opened it again and clicked the other option and got:

http://paste.ubuntu.com/1125117

NikTh
August 2nd, 2012, 02:34 PM
I then got opened it again and clicked the other option and got:

http://paste.ubuntu.com/1125117

Hi ,
do you have any sensitive data ?
If yes try to access it with a LiveCD/Usb(usb its better) and copy it on external drive.
If no then proceed with a Completely format of Everything.

It is so messed up , I cannot help.

You can format everything either from Gparted Live CD/Usb --> http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php/livecd.php
or from windows DVD.
Delete all partitions - Unite the disk to One part , and start again from begin.
Sorry

Thanks

jamsebob
August 2nd, 2012, 02:35 PM
turns out there's no ubuntu left on the system?

NikTh
August 2nd, 2012, 04:05 PM
turns out there's no ubuntu left on the system?

Yes. I cannot see anything that shows Ubuntu there. Only swap is present.
Also I can see an archaic file system Fat32 (maybe there are boot files for windows?) , also I can see overlapped partitions.
Messed up reports for O.S's , windows 7 , windows xp embedded , you said on first post for Windows vista... hmm .

Like I said before , best solution is to Delete everything , and unite all partitions to One. Then you can just start over and if you want any help (with Ubuntu)
we are here. :)

Thanks

jamsebob
August 2nd, 2012, 06:43 PM
not sure why it has windows xp and windows 7 on it, i bought it with vista installed then installed ubuntu 11.10 with a disk then updated to 12.04

jamsebob
August 2nd, 2012, 06:47 PM
is there a way to deactivate the media direct button once/if i reinstall ubuntu or will that get removed when i format the drive

NikTh
August 2nd, 2012, 11:24 PM
is there a way to deactivate the media direct button once/if i reinstall ubuntu or will that get removed when i format the drive
Hi ,
I assume has something to do in regard to windows installation but....
.....I don't know what is this "media direct button" .(I never bought a Desktop or Laptop with windows pre-installed)
Wait for someone who knows better.

Thanks

audiomick
August 2nd, 2012, 11:46 PM
not sure why it has windows xp and windows 7 on it, i bought it with vista installed then installed ubuntu 11.10 with a disk then updated to 12.04

Don't bother your head too much with that. I have a Vista dual boot and a Win 7 dual boot on two different machines, and neither of them shows the correct name for the windows os that is there. The main thing is whether a Windows os is detected or not.

I have to agree with NikTh. That really does look terminally messed up. It is a bit too late at night for me to look for myself to see where it is, but there was mention of overlapping partitions. This indicates a messed up partition table.i

If it is not absolutely life and death to try and recover the install, I think it would be easier to do a new one.

What does this "media direct" button allegedly do? It sounds like a manufacturer specific function. I don't like your chances of being able to disable it completely