PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Unity Customizations

Shadius
August 2nd, 2012, 09:06 AM
Hey everybody! :)

It seems that the Unity Launcher changes colors to match whatever wallpaper is being used. I would like to set it to a specific color and not change according to the wallpaper. I want the Dash button to be either Ubuntu's orange or black. Any color I choose. I've tried using MyUnity to do it, but maybe I'm using it wrong. How can I do this?

3Miro
August 2nd, 2012, 12:50 PM
The Unity panel is simply semi-transparent and it shows the colors behind it. You can adjust that with Ubuntu Tweak tool

http://ubuntu-tweak.com/

Frogs Hair
August 2nd, 2012, 03:19 PM
Changing the dash icon color is a matter of changing the launcher_bfb.png in usr/share/unity/5. I had to locate and change the size/color of an Ubuntu icon I wanted to use with Gimp. The default icon was saved just in case and I then replaced the icon in the location above. Root permissions are needed to make changes to the file system.

Shadius
August 2nd, 2012, 09:12 PM
When using MyUnity, everytime I change the color of the Launcher, the whole thing changes. If it's semi-transparent and shows the color behind it, shouldn't it be showing my webpage background in the screenshot instead of blue? I didn't even set it to blue, it got that way based on my wallpaper. I don't know if I'm making myself clear, but the problem is whenever I change a wallpaper, the Dash and Launcher will match itself to that wallpaper.

Is Ubuntu Tweak any better than MyUnity? I went to the site and it says it's for 11.04 and before.

Frogs Hair
August 2nd, 2012, 10:35 PM
The white Ubuntu logo in the middle of the dash icon can be changed as I described , but the area around it is transparent and shows the color of the wallpaper.

Ubuntu Tweak can be installed on 12.04 via PPA, but only changes the level of transparency/opacity in the launcher and not the color.

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-to-install-ubuntu-tweak-0-7-0-in-ubuntu-12-04-precise.html

Shadius
August 2nd, 2012, 11:02 PM
The white Ubuntu logo in the middle of the dash icon can be changed as I described , but the area around it is transparent and shows the color of the wallpaper.

Ubuntu Tweak can be installed on 12.04 via PPA, but only changes the level of transparency/opacity in the launcher and not the color.

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-to-install-ubuntu-tweak-0-7-0-in-ubuntu-12-04-precise.html

Oh I see. Thank you. I wonder if they'll add any customization options to Unity int eh future versions of Ubuntu..

goonybird
August 27th, 2012, 02:39 PM
Hi.

My question seems to fit this thread...

Changing the Launcher to transparent, which I like, also changes the Dash to solid black. Whatever I do the result is always the same. Either have a coloured semi-transparent Dash OR a transparent Launcher.

Why can't we have both?

Shadius
August 27th, 2012, 07:11 PM
Hi.

My question seems to fit this thread...

Changing the Launcher to transparent, which I like, also changes the Dash to solid black. Whatever I do the result is always the same. Either have a coloured semi-transparent Dash OR a transparent Launcher.

Why can't we have both?

Agreed.

Frogs Hair
August 27th, 2012, 07:28 PM
Currently the Dash Blur setting can be changed from the CCSM > Unity Plugin > Experimental > Dash Blur. Ubuntu Tweak has the setting as well for Unity 3D. I'm not sure if that is what you are after though.

goonybird
August 27th, 2012, 09:16 PM
Thanks Frogs Hair. That doesn't change the colour though.

My Unity will set the Launcher to clear but the Dash turns black. Changing the Dash colour then un-sets the Launcher transparency.

Ubuntu Tweak will change the Launcher transparency but there is no transparency setting for Dash, only blur.

Need something that has both settings perhaps.

Frogs Hair
August 28th, 2012, 12:19 AM
You can check out the MyUnity PPA , I have read that the latest version has color adjustments.http://www.ubuntugeek.com/myunity-3-0-released-and-ppa-installation-instructions-included.html