PDA

View Full Version : Will UEFI make eveyone pay $99 for using Ubuntu?

c2tarun
August 2nd, 2012, 04:37 AM
Hi friends,

I read this article today,
http://www.wired.com/wiredenterprise/2012/06/microsoft-windows8-secure-boot/
Does this mean that anyone who want to use Linux (ubuntu/red-hat) have to pay $99 to someone?

ahallubuntu
August 2nd, 2012, 04:49 AM
No, it means that Canonical (the organization that distributes Ubuntu) has to pay it one time to sign their boot loader. They don't pay $99 for each person downloading Ubuntu; they pay it ONCE.

c2tarun
August 2nd, 2012, 04:51 AM
No, it means that Canonical (the organization that distributes Ubuntu) has to pay it one time to sign their boot loader. They don't pay $99 for each person downloading Ubuntu; they pay it ONCE.

ohh.. :)

mörgæs
August 2nd, 2012, 05:25 AM
It's still a problem. After some time when people are getting used to the fee it can easily be changed to per-installation. It surprises me that Torvalds does not comment on that.

Moved to the cafe as it is not a support request.

madjr
August 2nd, 2012, 05:39 AM
this is why is time to switch to linux friendly hardware vendors/preinstalled options.

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/category/hardware-2/

ranger1021994
August 2nd, 2012, 05:41 AM
Microsoft behaves like a bully

mamamia88
August 2nd, 2012, 05:43 AM
how is secure boot even legal?

drawkcab
August 2nd, 2012, 05:46 AM
Where are the lawyers?

KiwiNZ
August 2nd, 2012, 05:47 AM
There are ways to work with this or work around this. It just takes a small amount of research.

omiazad
August 2nd, 2012, 07:16 AM
Awesome News!!!

vasa1
August 2nd, 2012, 07:33 AM
Won't this be an issue only for those who buy computers with Win 8 pre-installed?

Elfy
August 2nd, 2012, 07:39 AM
Won't this be an issue only for those who buy computers with Win 8 pre-installed?

Not necessarily.

Looking to buy a new machine myself - people I use have barebones etc, the one I was looking at has UEFI enabled, I'd imagine most if not all will eventually.

A quick call to them told me it was easy to disable and that if I did have any problems a call to their tech dept would walk me through it.

effenberg0x0
August 2nd, 2012, 07:48 AM
I know this is supposed to be top-notch security, etc. But, really: it feels like MS vs. Linux. Every kid in the word will feel compelled to hack it. How long will it take for it to be completely destroyed? IMO, it will turn out to be another embarrassment for MS and OEMs.

Regards,
Effenberg

Paqman
August 2nd, 2012, 07:53 AM
how is secure boot even legal?

Why would it be illegal?

c2tarun
August 2nd, 2012, 08:07 AM
BTW why do we even need UEFI? What is wrong with BIOS? and What kind of security they are going to add in UEFI?

Paqman
August 2nd, 2012, 08:30 AM
BTW why do we even need UEFI? What is wrong with BIOS? and What kind of security they are going to add in UEFI?

BIOS is really, really outdated and doesn't support modern hardware. The only reason we're still able to use it is that individual vendors have hacked and extended it way beyond what it was originally capable of doing. That's not a sensible or sustainable model, and we should have switched to (U)EFI years and years ago.

vasa1
August 2nd, 2012, 08:31 AM
Not necessarily.

Looking to buy a new machine myself - people I use have barebones etc, the one I was looking at has UEFI enabled, I'd imagine most if not all will eventually.

A quick call to them told me it was easy to disable and that if I did have any problems a call to their tech dept would walk me through it.

Aren't there two issues? One is the presence of UEFI instead of BIOS. The other is the secure boot aspect.

If one buys a computer with UEFI but no Win8 on it, will there be the problem of needing a key?

Grenage
August 2nd, 2012, 08:31 AM
Indeed; IIRC, it was only supposed to be a temporary solution.

vasa1
August 2nd, 2012, 08:40 AM
Just curious, but is this UEFI thing baked into the motherboard? If yes, then who can upgrade from Win7? Only those who already have a PC with UEFI?

mörgæs
August 2nd, 2012, 08:40 AM

Was that for ARM's or x86? As of now, most restrictions are focusing on ARM.

Primefalcon
August 2nd, 2012, 12:19 PM
hell with this.... my pre-built systems will be vendors like system76 from now on.....

drmrgd
August 2nd, 2012, 01:02 PM
I would imagine that if it becomes too restrictive or monopolative (not sure that's a word, but I kind of like it anyway!), MS will get sued to fix it. I mean, they're still getting pounded over Internet Explorer, which as much as I dislike IE, I think that was a silly and frivolous lawsuit.

Either way, there will be workarounds and ways to do it. It's just a change people will get used to.

ssam
August 2nd, 2012, 04:39 PM
you might to read this, which explains the situation well.
http://mjg59.dreamwidth.org/12368.html

the distros basically have 3 choices.
1) tell users to go into the BIOS and disable security options
2) tell users to go into the BIOS and add the distro key
3) create a key and signing infrastructure, and convince all the manufactures to install it by default
4) buy a key that is signed by a key that is already guaranteed to be installed

fedora and ubuntu both went with 4. i expect smaller distros will choose 1 or 2.

mips
August 2nd, 2012, 04:55 PM
They are already working on it, I would not worry to much about it. See links below.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2028529
http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/259368/linux_developers_step_up_to_the_secure_boot_challe nge.html
http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/tianocore/index.php?title=Welcome

madjr
August 2nd, 2012, 05:11 PM
BIOS is really, really outdated and doesn't support modern hardware. The only reason we're still able to use it is that individual vendors have hacked and extended it way beyond what it was originally capable of doing. That's not a sensible or sustainable model, and we should have switched to (U)EFI years and years ago.

Well am glad we didnt switch to (U)EFI years and years ago, as it would just had been another headache for new non technical/experienced users trying to install linux. And wouldn't mind this gets postponed (or at least not fully adopted) for some more years.

you might to read this, which explains the situation well.
http://mjg59.dreamwidth.org/12368.html

the distros basically have 3 choices.
1) tell users to go into the BIOS and disable security options
2) tell users to go into the BIOS and add the distro key
3) create a key and signing infrastructure, and convince all the manufactures to install it by default
4) buy a key that is signed by a key that is already guaranteed to be installed

fedora and ubuntu both went with 4. i expect smaller distros will choose 1 or 2.

If distros are based on ubuntu or fedora, do they automatically get #4 ?

and what about if you install using Wubi, do you still need keys and stuff?

Paqman
August 2nd, 2012, 05:32 PM
Well am glad we didnt switch to (U)EFI years and years ago, as it would just had been another headache for new non technical/experienced users trying to install linux. And wouldn't mind this gets postponed (or at least not fully adopted) for some more years.

Switching to UEFI doesn't automatically mean using Secure Boot, that's just a speedhump that Microsoft has thrown in our way recently. Macs have been using it for years, and there are currently PCs/mobos available with UEFI and no secure boot. Linux has officially supported EFI for yonks.

Since Wubi uses NTLDR, it would presumably be ok. Good question though.

Eddie Wilson
August 2nd, 2012, 06:32 PM
hell with this.... my pre-built systems will be vendors like system76 from now on.....

The most that they'll be able to do is turn it off for you. Everyone is making more of a problem with this than what is really is. Canonical and Redhat have already figured out there will be no serious problems. All the secure boot is for the Windows 8 certification logo. It MUST be setup where it can be disabled. OEM's can still install Windows 8 without the certification but they wouldn't get the OEM price package for Windows 8. UEFI is needed and secure boot is much ado about nothing.

Lucradia
August 3rd, 2012, 06:43 AM
Buy a Crosshair V Formula. It has UEFI, but allows Linux out of the box. ASUS is more open-source friendly from what I hear. (Routers use DD-WRT.)

drmrgd
August 3rd, 2012, 01:22 PM
Buy a Crosshair V Formula. It has UEFI, but allows Linux out of the box. ASUS is more open-source friendly from what I hear. (Routers use DD-WRT.)

I guess that depends on who you talk to at the company. As I was trying to figure out how to configure my new ASUS mobo with UEFI, I did the usual barrage of Google searching. On more than one occasion I came across a post on a forum saying that the user called ASUS customer support to get help and they just said, "sorry we don't support Linux."

ssam
August 3rd, 2012, 03:27 PM

if they use the ubuntu/fedora bootloader and kernel then i guess it would work.

I imagine ubuntu and fedora will not want to sign kernels and boot loaders built by anyone else, as they would take the blame if there was anything bad in them.

not all distros feel to strongly about being super easy to install. I imagine gentoo will be happy to just give instructions for how to create your own key, load it into UEFI and sign your own kernels. This could allow you to make a super secure server that will only run software that you have signed personally.

Lucradia
August 3rd, 2012, 04:27 PM
I guess that depends on who you talk to at the company. As I was trying to figure out how to configure my new ASUS mobo with UEFI, I did the usual barrage of Google searching. On more than one occasion I came across a post on a forum saying that the user called ASUS customer support to get help and they just said, "sorry we don't support Linux."

My Crosshair V Formula came with a huge manual. Always a good idea to read it. As for updating the graphic on the BIOS, you have to have Windows for that. You also have to have windows for updating the BIOS too.

SeijiSensei
August 3rd, 2012, 05:26 PM
Can anyone tell me how all this will work with virtual machines? Will a virtualized Win8 on Linux talk to the UEFI controller at boot? Or will VMs emulate the security component of UEFI or simply ignore all this stuff entirely?

Paqman
August 3rd, 2012, 05:32 PM
Can anyone tell me how all this will work with virtual machines? Will a virtualized Win8 on Linux talk to the UEFI controller at boot? Or will VMs emulate the security component of UEFI or simply ignore all this stuff entirely?

I don't see any reason why a VM would have to implement secure boot. They may offer it as a feature, but they're not locked into it to get a good licencing deal from Microsoft like the OEMs are.

drmrgd
August 3rd, 2012, 05:48 PM
My Crosshair V Formula came with a huge manual. Always a good idea to read it. As for updating the graphic on the BIOS, you have to have Windows for that. You also have to have windows for updating the BIOS too.

I'm not sure how this is relevant to what I said. I'm not (and wasn't) trying up grade the BIOS graphic. Also, I have the X79 Sabertooth board, which doesn't even require a hard drive, monitor, or keyboard to update the BIOS Firmware (just need the board, a USB flash drive, and power):

http://event.asus.com/2012/mb/USB_BIOS_Flashback_GUIDE/

mips
August 3rd, 2012, 07:12 PM

Why? Virtual hard drives are just that, virtual.

pqwoerituytrueiwoq
August 3rd, 2012, 07:14 PM
Where are the lawyers?
collecting funds from Microsoft

secure boot can be turned off in the BIOS

matt_symes
August 3rd, 2012, 09:16 PM
You also have to have windows for updating the BIOS too.

Gigabyte boards with Q-flash also do not need windows to update the BIOS (UEFI). They just need a drive (pen, solid or rotatory) formatted using FATx.

I know because i have flashed a BIOS on a Gigbyte board just today.

Paulgirardin
August 3rd, 2012, 11:04 PM
I know this is supposed to be top-notch security, etc. But, really: it feels like MS vs. Linux. Every kid in the word will feel compelled to hack it. How long will it take for it to be completely destroyed? IMO, it will turn out to be another embarrassment for MS and OEMs.

Regards,
Effenberg

My guess is about 3 days prior to the first Secure Boot system being released.

Lucradia
August 3rd, 2012, 11:04 PM
I'm not sure how this is relevant to what I said. I'm not (and wasn't) trying up grade the BIOS graphic. Also, I have the X79 Sabertooth board, which doesn't even require a hard drive, monitor, or keyboard to update the BIOS Firmware (just need the board, a USB flash drive, and power):

http://event.asus.com/2012/mb/USB_BIOS_Flashback_GUIDE/

My board is not listed on step 3. So yes, I have to. There is a button with that marking, but no "BIOS" under it. It also is green-colored, not blue, and resets the BIOS cache, and defaults all the settings, it's not near any of my USB connections though. Only White USB thing is the ROG Connect USB slot, which is meant for hooking up to a tablet or something to look at your motherboard's status.

Gigabyte boards with Q-flash also do not need windows to update the BIOS (UEFI). They just need a drive (pen, solid or rotatory) formatted using FATx.

I know because i have flashed a BIOS on a Gigbyte board just today.

See above.

Paulgirardin
August 3rd, 2012, 11:09 PM

UEFI isn't a problem - I built a mythbox 7 months ago with an ASUS mb with UEFI.There was no problem loading Mythbuntu 11.10 on it.

matt_symes
August 3rd, 2012, 11:21 PM
See above.

I was not disagreeing about your specific situation.

I was, however, stating that not all UEFI BIOS updates require windows.

SeijiSensei
August 4th, 2012, 12:27 AM
I don't see any reason why a VM would have to implement secure boot. They may offer it as a feature, but they're not locked into it to get a good licencing deal from Microsoft like the OEMs are.

Maybe I need to read more deeply into UEFI, but I thought a UEFI-compliant operating system won't boot unless the BIOS includes a known certificate? Otherwise what's the point?

So I'll ask the question in a slightly different way. Will Win8 boot in a VM if the virtualized BIOS isn't signed with a certificate recognizable by Windows?

mjg59
August 5th, 2012, 10:04 PM
Maybe I need to read more deeply into UEFI, but I thought a UEFI-compliant operating system won't boot unless the BIOS includes a known certificate? Otherwise what's the point?

So I'll ask the question in a slightly different way. Will Win8 boot in a VM if the virtualized BIOS isn't signed with a certificate recognizable by Windows?

Yes. Secure boot (if enabled) stops operating systems from booting if they're not signed with a trusted certificate. It does not permit operating systems to refuse to boot.