PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] CRT Screen. A good idea?

Legendman3
August 2nd, 2012, 02:32 AM
I don't know if this is the right forum.

Right now the only spare screen i have is a old CRT Screen from maybe the late 90's early 00's and i was wondering if that would be a good idea to use that with ubuntu. It worked well until it got to the desktop(I am using live usb because my harddrive hasen't come in yer maybe that's the problem?).

So this (http://i.imgur.com/uWFDU.jpg) happened. The problem there is that the desktop will black out and anything that draws over where the desktop is suppose to be gets stuck on the screen and any programs that load don't appear. I can use the stuff on the sides and tops.

Is that because its crt? I don't have a harddrive? Buffer problem? Or something else?

3Miro
August 2nd, 2012, 02:54 AM
CRT monitors eat a lot of power, emit a lot of heat, take up a lot of space and have very low resolution. When I upgraded to LCD my eyes felt so much better, the old CRT were really stressing my vision. However, it is worth noting that at the same resolution CRT looks a million times better than any LCD, it is just that the LCD monitors support much higher resolution.

Ubuntu doesn't care about the monitor that you are using and the problem on the screenshot looks like a problem with your graphics card. What is your graphics card, do you know the exact model?

Legendman3
August 2nd, 2012, 03:00 AM
Ubuntu doesn't care about the monitor that you are using and the problem on the screenshot looks like a problem with your graphics card. What is your graphics card, do you know the exact model?

Thanks for the help. The problem is that my GPU isn't installed yet!(haven't bought it just yet)

Also yeah im getting help about the screen. I was just wondering because money.

3Miro
August 2nd, 2012, 03:26 AM
Thanks for the help. The problem is that my GPU isn't installed yet!(haven't bought it just yet)

Also yeah im getting help about the screen. I was just wondering because money.

There is no reason why Ubuntu wouldn't run on a CRT, with low resolution of course. You manage your own money, but I would seriously advise you to consider the effect of the old monitor on your eyes. I spend way too much time in front of my computer and I value my eye-sight way too much to go back to CRT. I can't imagine an old CRT to be that much cheaper than an old LCD as to be worth the money.

QIII
August 2nd, 2012, 04:33 AM
An old CRT can be had for a song. $15 or $20. You already have one, so that goes to $0. You can often find a relatively good quality 20" to 23" wide screen 1920x1080 LCD for $140 if you watch the sales.

Honestly, the cost of running a CRT is not orders of magnitude higher than an LCD. Maybe triple. You're talking at the very most $20 a year versus $60 in terms of your electrical bill.

But you end up with trifocals like I did after staring at them for so long. You can buy a cheap used CRT for $20. You pay a lot more for trifocals when you are old. Fortunately for me, I'm a disabled veteran and I get mine for free from the VA. Otherwise they are $300 or more.

CRTs belong in recycling facilities.

Jakin
August 2nd, 2012, 06:53 AM
I have an old Zenith Data System CRT monitor, from 1989, its FLAT with a gorgeous tint panel built into it, making it easy on the eyes :O presumably pulled from a hospice or something. best it gets is EGA or PGA- that is to say 480p-ish.
However ubuntu does look "nice" on it, just... claustrophobic. And its really just something i keep- just to say i have it, i see no energy star logo- haha.

http://www.nadbor.pwr.wroc.pl/yesterpc/Hardware/Zenith%20ZCM1495/item.htm