PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrading from Ubuntu 10.04 32-bit OS to 64-bit

JasonMarquez
August 1st, 2012, 10:52 PM
Hello,

I have a server setup in my closet, that for some reason installed the 32-bit version of Ubuntu 10.04 instead of the 64-bit. My server has 6 gigs of RAM but is only using 2 gigs. I would like to upgrade from 32 to 64 bit without losing anything. Is that possible at all?

If not, is there a way you suggest so that I can backup all my documents and setups so I don't have to set it all up again? I have a website, ftp, and all kinds of important programs on there that I took forever to setup. I would not like to lose any of it...

Thank you,
Jason Marquez

oldfred
August 2nd, 2012, 01:17 AM
I did it with desktop not server so there may be some other settings in /etc or other locations that you need to backup.

My backup is so I can reinstall and is somewhat based on my conversion from 9.04 32bit to 9.10 64bit and what I was missing, but is more for desktop.

Oldfred's list of stuff to backup May 2011:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1748541

Absolute best case would be just to buy another drive and install 64bit keeping the 32bit available. Then anything missing is still there to convert. Some things change with the new version that not all old setting may be required.