PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] One more Xfce question -- menu options

vasa1
August 1st, 2012, 05:42 PM
I asked a question about getting Thunar to offer an option to open a folder of songs with a music player here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=12144062#post12144062).

Now, I've got a similar question but I don't know if it involves Thunar or not.

I've set up an Xfce 4.10 panel to give me a sort of "launcher" on the left side of the screen. It appears on hover and I have my most used apps there.

The question is about the folder named Songs. If I single-click it, I get two options, open folder and open in terminal.

Is it possible to add a third option: open with Totem? For that matter, is it possible to remove open in terminal in this case?

LewisTM
August 1st, 2012, 06:46 PM
Hello again!

The Directory menu plugin has limited options, I don't think you can set custom commands for it.
The best you could do is make a launcher with command

totem /home/<you>/Songs
Remember you can make a launcher that contains a collection of sub-launchers. You can use that in conjunction with totem --enqueue <dir> or totem --replace <dir> commands to populate your playlist.

Cheers!

vasa1
August 1st, 2012, 06:56 PM
Hello again!

The Directory menu plugin has limited options, I don't think you can set custom commands for it.
The best you could do is make a launcher with command

totem /home/<you>/Songs
Remember you can make a launcher that contains a collection of sub-launchers. You can use that in conjunction with totem --enqueue <dir> or totem --replace <dir> commands to populate your playlist.

Cheers!

I didn't even know that it's called the "directory menu plugin"!

It looks like the sub-launcher route may be the way to go.
But this is new stuff to me and it's late here. I'll look at it tomorrow.

Thanks once again :)

vasa1
August 2nd, 2012, 11:54 AM
Well, I've done my best and this is the "hack" I came up with.

First, I added a new item (launcher) to my vertical panel.
Second, I edited it ...

Name: Music

Command: none (I couldn't create the launcher without entering something so I entered "none")

Icon: as shown
Third, I added subsequent items named after various folders, with the command of the type totem /home/username/Music/subfolder_name

So now I have a dummy launcher which unsurprisingly throws up an error if I left-click it ;)
and I have the actual "sublaunchers" which work as intended.

I'm content with what I have but if there's a proper, or better, way rather than what I've done, do let me know.

Thank you for the pointers and I'm marking this one "solved" :)

LewisTM
August 2nd, 2012, 01:38 PM
Yeah, that's pretty much the idea.
You can use a dummy command like echo for your top launcher so you don't get errors.

vasa1
August 2nd, 2012, 02:05 PM
Yeah, that's pretty much the idea.
You can use a dummy command like echo for your top launcher so you don't get errors.

Done. Thanks!

vasa1
August 3rd, 2012, 12:57 PM
I came across a tutorial (http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/164) which shows how to fit the arrow into what I called the dummy in my previous post. This simplifies things in that there's now no need of having a dummy command. Clicking on the (previously) dummy button which now has the arrow within it gives a dropdown of all the music folders.
Here's a quote from the tutorial:

[10]. Now the FINAL step... by default there should be a little arrow next to the magnifying glass icon and if you click on it your newly created snappy launcher with drop down with all your menu item. Personally, I don't like the arrow and I rather click on the icon itself to make the list drop down. So do this>>>
[11]. Highlight your icon on the panel, right click and select "Properties". THEN in the dialog box, look ON TOP of the box with all your launchers and you'll see the word "Arrow:" and a drop down box that says "Default". Click on it and select the bottom option "Inside Button" then hit OK.

It's probably for an earlier Xfce but now the setting is in the advanced tab.