PDA

View Full Version : For those of you that like to argue the rights and wrongs of patents.

Elfy
August 1st, 2012, 03:10 PM
Olympics chaos as Americans patent ‘running quickly’

http://www.newsbiscuit.com/2012/08/01/olympics-chaos-as-americans-patent-running-quickly/

Grenage
August 1st, 2012, 03:12 PM
There goes that mouthful of coffee! ^^

drmrgd
August 1st, 2012, 03:21 PM
HA! This site is great! Thanks for sharing.

CharlesA
August 1st, 2012, 03:22 PM
The 100 metre cannon run?

*hides*

QIII
August 1st, 2012, 03:47 PM
If "Absolutely Asinine Litigation" were an Olympic sport, we Americans would win all three medals every time.

And everyone knows "If ya ain't cheatin', ya ain't tryin' hard enough" is the best road to success.

By the way, I hold the copyright to the word "Elfy" because I found that it wasn't copyrighted. Either pay a royalty, or I'll see you in court.

Primefalcon
August 1st, 2012, 03:51 PM
If "Absolutely Asinine Litigation" were an Olympic sport, we Americans would win all three medals every time.

And everyone knows "If ya ain't cheatin', ya ain't tryin' hard enough" is the best road to success.
blood hilarious, lol we should start a post of spoofy news sites... well heres another towards the funny aspect anyhow http://cachedtech.com/riaa-denounces-spotify-and-promises-to-destroy-them/

thatguruguy
August 1st, 2012, 04:41 PM

By the way, I hold the copyright to the word "Elfy" because I found that it wasn't copyrighted. Either pay a royalty, or I'll see you in court.
FWIW, you're confusing copyright with trademark. They are two completely different things.

QIII
August 1st, 2012, 05:16 PM
I'm not claiming it in conjunction with trade for goods or services, which would make it a trademark.

I'm claiming it as original literary authorship. I made the word up and am protecting the form of expression.

sffvba[e0rt
August 1st, 2012, 06:27 PM
Sad thing is if you put the real cases side by side with the spoof cases it will be very hard to spot the differences (if at all possible sometimes).

thatguruguy
August 1st, 2012, 07:36 PM
I'm not claiming it in conjunction with trade for goods or services, which would make it a trademark.

I'm claiming it as original literary authorship. I made the word up and am protecting the form of expression.

In that case, you have even less understanding of copyright than I thought.

An original literary work is copyrighted as soon as it is placed in a tangible medium. The copyright exists from that time forward. You can't claim someone else's copyright unless you can show that you placed whatever the work was into a tangible medium prior to the time that it was done by the other person, or you can show that the other person vested his or her copyright into you. It doesn't matter if you "made the word up," what matters is who put it into a tangible medium first.
As a general rule, you can't copyright a word or name (http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-protect.html).
In this particular case, the word "Elfy" is associated with the services, as a moderator and poster, of the person using that particular word. As such, it would be a trademark issue rather than a copyright issue.

Elfy
August 1st, 2012, 08:06 PM
This area is intended for fun and community building, not arguments

Closed at OP's request.

KiwiNZ
August 1st, 2012, 08:06 PM
Where has all the humor gone
Long time passing
Some posts gone by
Seriousness stole it everyone :(